Wowza Community

Wowza Heap and Memory is getting Full over time

Hi Dear Wowza Community,

my Wowza Heap and Memory is getting really Full after 2-3 days of running.

the Connections are between 800 - 250 Connections:

Iam using RTMP, Apple HLS and RTSP/RTP as Playback types.

Server Specs are:

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2

16 GB DDR3

whats do i wrong :confused: and how can i optimize it? iam using the latest version of Wowza.

On this server only wowza is running and a minimal debian package.

thank you for your time and help!

Hi,

If you’re publishing many live streams and packetizing for HTTP clients, Wowza holds the latest chunks in memory.

By default Wowza will hold 10 chunks (for each HTTP client type) and the duration of each chunk is 10 seconds (100 seconds of stream).

To reduce this memory consumption, you can edit the packetization for each HTTP client type (per application) using the articles below.

How to configure Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming packetization (sanjosestreaming)

How to configure Apple HTTP Live Streaming packetization (cupertinostreaming)

How to configure Microsoft Smooth Streaming packetization (smoothstreaming)

How to configure MPEG-DASH packetization (mpegdashstreaming)

By changing the duration of the chunk to be 2 seconds and the number of chunks held in memory to be 5 this would reduce the duration of stream in memory from 100 seconds to 10 seconds.

You may also want to try other tuning adjustments such as the garbage collection, you may be better using the G1 (Garbage First) Collector.

Perhaps you should try this too if the packetization adjustments does not lower the memory usage enough. Please see the tuning guide below for details.

How to do performance tuning

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

Wowza keeps the stream in memory for each live source to provide to any HTTP clients, it doesn’t matter if you have any HTTP clients viewing the content.

If Wowza didn’t have the stream chunks available (in memory) when a HTTP client connected, it would receive a 404.

If you’re not using HTTP clients/players to view the streams you should remove them from the allowed playback clients in the application configuration.

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

How may different streams are being published?

Did you change the GC settings as per the tuning guide I provided?

Did you restart after making either of the changes above?

If you require further help please open a ticket by sending an email to support@wowza.com.

When creating a ticket include a zipped copy of the [Wowza-Install]/conf/ and [Wowza-Install]/logs/ directories for analysis and a link to this thread for reference.

Regards,

Jason

Hello Jason,

first of all thank you for your prompt reply! so 99 % of clients are wataching over RTMP.

however i have some additional information for you:

So Apple HLS and RTSP are just activated for development. ( only 3 clients using it ).

also when the connections are getting less, its not that wowza is "cleaning or freeing " the memory.

Hi Jason,

yes but does it also keeps the junks for Streams they doesnt exist anymore? Because it seems like the memory just get full when we get more connection. But when we get less connection the memory stays full. (so i think when the connections are not so much anymore, the memory consumption should shrink again, and not stay full).

In the evenings we have about 500-800 connections and in the mornings about 80-200 but memory and heap still full.

sry for my bad english in this case. Thank you for your help