Wowza Community

24/7 Stream (offair-holder + scheduled + livestream) issue

Hey,

I was hoping you could help me out with an issue I’ve run in to…

Basically I have the following setup on my Wowza server: - A pre-roll running until a live source is connected.

Everything is fine with that, however, what I want to achieve is to schedule a playlist to run at a specific time.

So, if the live source is not airing, or the scheduled playlist/program is not airing, the pre-roll would run as a placeholder until either the live source or playlist are active again.

So the priority for the sources would be as follows (high to low):

1. Livestream

2. Scheduled shows

3. Pre-roll

The problem I’m having is that due to the pre-roll being set in the past, it’s actually not possible to schedule items to air on the stream. So when the scheduled shows should be playing, the pre-roll is still running.

It appears that internal sources are not affecting the pre-roll as when a live source is connected there is no problem.

I was hoping you could help me figure out where I’m going wrong and what setting(s) could be the (possible) cause(s) to my troubles.

In short, I want a 24/7 pre-roll where a scheduled playlist or show takes priority over that, but a live source takes top priority over all.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I’m not sure that would be possible with the default modules as it is too complex for them.

What I would suggest is to use the default modules as a starting point and make modifications to suit your specific scenario. If you need some assistance with custom development, I would suggest posting on the Find A Consultant forum.

Roger.

We have the same problems.

What I can think of is pre roll until live is the best option

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-loop-a-pre-roll-until-a-live-stream-starts-loopuntillive

Hi,

When using the Loop until live with a schedule, please take note that if the live stream starts (which will take priority over the scheduled content) 2 minutes into a 10 minute file (sample.mp4), and the live stream stops during the scheduled time sample.mp4 was to play (live stream lasted less than 8 minutes), this would start sample.mp4 again but from the beginning, not where it would have been if the live stream was not started.

This is something you may need to consider when switching from live to scheduled and looping content.

Regards,

Jason