Thread: Restriction and Security: Playback to Certain Viewers Only

Default Restriction and Security: Playback to Certain Viewers Only

Hi,

We have a client that requires us to limit the playback of the live stream to certain viewers only.
    Apart from that, it should only be viewed thru Flash only.
    Is it possible to do this by allowing certain IP addresses only? or MAC address?
    How can I implement this?
    We would be glad if you could suggest other ways to restrict the playback.
    By the way, the content is distributed thru Amazon CloudFront.

Thank you,

Roger

Hi,

Additional info/concern to the post above.
    What if the viewer IP address is not static?

Thanks,

Roger

Roger,

There is not a way to limit clients in any way through Wowza if you are using Cloudfront for distribution. Wowza is the origin, clients connect to Cloudfront not Wowza.

Richard

Hi Richard,

If we'll make this a separate and special setup, i.e., a dedicated Wowza EC2 AMI will be used and that the clients will directly connect to Wowza (CloudFront won't be used), how can we limit/restrict the connections then?
    Our objective here is to allow only a set of definite/particular clients (numbering up to 40) to connect to the server. Only Flash will be allowed and the client IP address is not known whether it is static or dynamically assigned.
    Furthermore, we'll be using live transcoding for this dedicated server. Can an m3.large Amazon EC2 instance support 3 transcodes? If not, what's the best Amazon EC2 instance size (and type: gen. purpose or compute optimized) should we use?

Thanks,

Roger

Hi Roger,

In this case you can use onConnect() in an Application module to look at all RTMP connections so you can authenticate, track, limit by IP, etc. Here are some examples. Simple authentication querystring. Limit publish by IP. This could be modified to limit all connections by IP.

With RTMP clients you can also override play() and limit playback, as in this example: Limit playback by IP.

Richard

i have a serious question to put forward
    Most of the people use smartdns to bypass any restriction or vpn to stream via secure tunneling
    so how do u guys plan to restrict it
    i am in but use "purevpn.com/uk-vpn-services.php" to access content in Europe and US which is block in Asia
    so kindly look after it