Thread: Streams Lag A Lot With Loads Of Viewers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Streams Lag A Lot With Loads Of Viewers

I get a lot of viewers viewing my stream so the more people view it the more it lags so any chance to reduce the bitrate on the server so it doesnt go over a certain bitrate so
    if i wanted the bitrate to not go over a certain size how would i go about doing that please to prevent lag as im getting a lot of people saying it lags a lot, so would appreciate it if anyone could help with this.

Hi,
    It depends what limit you are hitting. If you are hitting a bandwidth limit (likely) then you could reduce the bandwidth at he encoder end (if live).
    If VOD you would reduce the bitrate by re-encoding the file(s) at a lower rate. A lower bitrate could reduce quality though if the bitrate is already
    at the optimal.
    You may be hitting some other system limit though, and you would need to monitor system resources to see if that's the case. If so you would
    need to upgrade or add another server.

Daren

Quote Originally Posted by daren_j View Post
    Hi,
    It depends what limit you are hitting. If you are hitting a bandwidth limit (likely) then you could reduce the bandwidth at he encoder end (if live).
    If VOD you would reduce the bitrate by re-encoding the file(s) at a lower rate. A lower bitrate could reduce quality though if the bitrate is already
    at the optimal.
    You may be hitting some other system limit though, and you would need to monitor system resources to see if that's the case. If so you would
    need to upgrade or add another server.

Daren
    Well i have 100TB Bandwidth on my server so i highly doubt it, How do i configure my Wowza server in the applications.xml so that the encoder cannot go over a certain bitrate? as i think when it goes to a really high bitrate then with all the people watching it lags like mad

Hi,
    It would be best then to know your full configuration / server specs, to make more accurate suggestions.

You can limit by number of connections which ma seem more appropriate.
    Wowza Streaming Engine 4 has a built-in way of limiting connections per Application, under your Application in the manager UI the setup tabe has an option
    named 'Maximum Connections: Limit number of player connections.' Just click 'Edit', select the option and enter the number of connections to limit to.

This is how to limit the number of player connections per stream.

Do also check that your sever is properly by tuned by referencing this guide, especially if you are running
    Wowza Media Server version 3.6.4 or earlier.

Daren

Quote Originally Posted by daren_j View Post
    Hi,
    It would be best then to know your full configuration / server specs, to make more accurate suggestions.

You can limit by number of connections which ma seem more appropriate.
    Wowza Streaming Engine 4 has a built-in way of limiting connections per Application, under your Application in the manager UI the setup tabe has an option
    named 'Maximum Connections: Limit number of player connections.' Just click 'Edit', select the option and enter the number of connections to limit to.

This is how to limit the number of player connections per stream.

Do also check that your sever is properly by tuned by referencing this guide, especially if you are running
    Wowza Media Server version 3.6.4 or earlier.

Daren
    I dont have stream engine 4 i have 3.6 so how would i go about tuning it correctly for version 3.6 and also how do i limit player connections on version 3.6 as all tutorials seem to have gone for people who are not on version 4,
    and here are my server specs:

HP DL120G6/Intel Xeon x3440-16
    CPU 2.53Ghz
    Memory: 16 GB DDR3
    Hard Drive: 4 x 1 TB SATA2
    Bandwidth: 100 TB
    Download Speed of 700 MB/s, Upload Speed of 690 mb/s, Ping = 1 ms

So basically as i said i want to know how i go about setting the server up so the bitrate stays at a certain point and doesnt go beyond that if possible when live streaming, i saw this in another thread:
    <Property>
    <Name>sortBufferSize</Name>
    <Value>750</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>

does that do what i asked?
    Last edited by dairees567; 07-13-2014 at 12:36 PM.

anyone?