Wowza Community

Dynamic server-side VOD playlist for iOS, Android & Desktop?

Here’s the situation :

New files are continuoutsly uploaded to the server. Say file001.mp4, file002.mp4, file003.mp4, and so on.

Say we already have file001-file005 when the client started. file006 becomes ready, and I want it to be dynamically added to the playlist without any interruption. Can this be done?

Hi,

Server side VOD playlists are not currently supported by Wowza. It is a feature that we are looking into, but there is no time frame when this will become available.

It is possible to use a client workaround to implement the scenario you have described. Please take a look at the “How to do pre-roll and playlist for iOS (a client-side work-around)” forum article.

Also, for Flash based clients, you can use the instructions described in the “How to insert a pre-roll or mid-roll for video on demand playback in Flash RTMP client” article.

These articles are provided as an example. In order to implement your dynamic playlist, you will need to create your custom code and implement it into your workflow.

Zoran

Thanks for the info.

What are my options for Android?

• Would the reloaded playlist be reflected on the existing viewing session?

• Can this smil schedule refer to files stored on a http origin instead of a local storage? Say …

Hi,

You may also want to look at How to do scheduled streaming with Wowza Streaming Engine (ServerListenerStreamPublisher).

At the bottom of this article you will see the Reloading schedules section.

Regards,

Jason

If you are going to refer to files at a different location, I’d suggest looking into our MediaCache technology. This shouldn’t result in buffering (provided good connection etc) and this should work over HLS and RTMP playback.

Is this feature called “Server side VOD playlist” is available now.