Wowza Community

Wowza installation permissions

Howdy folks,

I’m running Wowza 4 on Linux as a non-root user, and am wondering what permissions are actually needed by the Wowza user for everything to function properly.

I found this thread from a while back, which indicated that the only writer permissions needed were on the ‘applications’ directory, which makes sense.

I am wondering two things:

• Is the applications directory still the only thing that Wowza needs write access to? I would have expected it to need write access on the logs directory also, at least.

• How does the manager affect this? Does the manager need write access anywhere?

Just looking to lock things down as much as possible, per organization policy.

Thanks!

Morgan Hamill

Hi,

Yes, Wowza does write to the [install-dir]/logs/ directory. Other directories under the [install-dir] also have files which may be written to, created, deleted etc by the Wowza process. When running Wowza as a named user I’d look at locking that user down, setting file ownerships so only that named user can write and read the files. You may have to go through a few iterations to find what works for you. As you know Wowza runs as root with a default install, and as mentioned in the link you refer to the default settings are to make the installation as simple as possible.

Paul