Wowza Community

what makes WOWZA better, compared to HTTP servers, for streaming using HLS?

Hi,

I am evaluating the use of WOWZA for streaming video over HLS so I apologize if the question sounds a bit “non polite”, but here it is:

HTTP servers like Apache HTTP server, Nginx and others can stream HLS as well as WOWZA. What advantages WOWZA has over these HTTP servers when it comes to streaming HLS?

(any consideration is relevant, including scalability, security, monitoring and reporting, ease of management etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Ilan

Hi,

There are many reasons for using Wowza to provide HLS streaming services compared to a generic web server. You’ve essentially listed them yourself, though to provide a few specifics; Wowza’s HLS implementation includes robust DRM functionality, timed data events via ID3 tags, alternative audio tracks. More are listed here.

I would recommend reading our Quick Start Guide which covers the concepts involved. For more detail around the HLS capabilities I’d suggest reading the User Guide.

If you require more product information then please also considering contacting our sales team at sales@wowza.com who will be happy to help.

Paul