Wowza Community

Bug: Wowza does not understand 2 letter country code (ISO 639-1)

Hi,

We use multi language sub titling files like the example on https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-configure-closed-captioning-language-selection-for-video-on-demand-streaming#multiLanguage . We use the parameter: ‘?wowzacaptionlanguages’ to specify the language. When we use two letter country codes, it does not work. So we translate the country code ‘eng’ to ‘en’ in the TTML file and use the parameter ?wowzacaptionlanguages=en

But this does not show up any subtitling. When we use the three letter country code name, it does work. So it looks like that the two letter country codes are not working?

Conclusion, when we use two letter country codes, it does not work. Three letter country codes does! Can somebody at Wowza confirm this?

We are using : Wowza Streaming Engine 4 Trial Edition (Expires: Nov 06, 2014) 4.0.4 build11775

TheYOSH

Hi,

You are required to pass a 3+ character language code to your wowzacaptionlanguages query parameter. It does explain this near the bottom of the article but it could be misinterpreted. I will raise this internally to see if we can express that more clearly.

Paul

It is not clear. Please write that it should always three letter country codes. It does not help that Wowza magically translate two letter country codes to three letter country codes.

so either do support two letter country codes, or only and only support three letter country codes! No mixing. Makes it very confusing.

For example France: FR is valid. But will it then translated to FRA or FRE ? What need I to put in the TTML file FRA or FRE?. That leave room for mistakes. Please make the system just plain three letter country codes.

Or make the system that it just use that language which is specified. So I define a language called ISpeakALot and I use wowzacaptionlanguages=ISpeakALot that it will match. It does not matter if it is a real language. I just want that text from that language.

Kind regards,

Joshua

We do not support custom language IDs because some caption formats and/or players require valid language ISO-639-2/T IDs to play properly.

Stupid players… :slight_smile:

But thanks for the clarification. We can work with this now it is clear.

Thanks

The article has been made a bit clearer. Thanks for the input

For best results, use the ISO-639-2/T three letter codes. We support the others to support legacy caption files the best we can.

We do not support custom language IDs because some caption formats and/or players require valid language ISO-639-2/T IDs to play properly.