Wowza Community

Hard Disk Use

Hey Everybody,

I was looking the anality graph Usage in Wowza Streaming Engine and I noticed 79% of hard disk use. Doing a quick search I discovered that logs folder uses 70 % of space. So i would like know if there one way to clear “wowzastreamingengine_acess.log” and “wowzastreamingengine_error.log” after of a time. I see that threads Log files exceed disk space, Can i disable log files? but i did’nt want to disable only remove from time to time. Is it possible?

Hi,

Take a look at this guide that shows how to setup rolling logs by time and size.

Daren

Hi,

That’s true, but the method in the guide also limits the total number of logs created, so there’s less need to remove anything.

However, the linux/unix logrotate command provides more flexibility with with scheduling and removing logs.

There’s a good write-up about logrotate here.

There are also Windows versions available if that’s your platform.

Daren

Hi,

This could be for many reasons.

Where exactly are you seeing high use of memory?

One suggestion is : If you have LiveStreamPacketizers, or the different playback types configured, but don’t actually use some of them, then turning off the ones

not used could save much memory usage.

Daren

Hi,

This is normal.

Here’s a detailed explanation:

Certainly on a linux server, the Total Memory bar in the graph also includes memory that is being used for OS level caching and network buffers. This memory is released automatically by the OS when required so can be considered as free memory however, Wowza has no way of separating the actual free memory from the cached memory so will always report higher than actual values for Total Memory.

You can also use the linux free command, to see actual memory usage. This page, http://www.linuxnix.com/2013/05/find…linuxunix.html describes how to interpret the results.

Daren

Hi,

If the stream has been added to [Wowza-Install]/conf/StartupStreams.xml it will attempt to connect to the source to receive the stream when Wowza starts and retry constantly, if unavailable this will create lots of logging.

I recommend checking the StartupStreams.xml file and removing the entries which are not needed.

In Wowza Streaming Engine 4, the MediaCaster streams are now restarted by default if Wowza thinks they are unhealthy.

To disable this edit the StreamValidator from true to false in the [Wowza-Install]/conf/live/Application.xml file.

false

Regards,

Jason

You should probably also look at why the log files are so large in the first place. They may be indicating an issue with the server or a module that has been added which is logging way too much.

How large is the average access log file? Are the error log files close to the same size? Large error logs could indicate a problem. If there are just hundreds of files then it is probably ok to delete the older ones.

If you’re not sure, please zip up some of the recent files along with the conf folder and send to support@wowza.com along with a description of the issue and a link to this thread.

Roger.

Apart from removing any unused streams from the StartupStreams list, you also need to stop any running instances in each of the applications. In the Manager, look at the Incoming Streams and any cameras that are not connected will say Waiting for stream You should stop these or at least check the camera if you think they should be running.

Roger.

Hey Daren,

Thanks for reply. In the guide is shown how create logs files based in time or size but i want remove log files after two day for example. How could I do this?

Thanks for the replies Daren and Roger.

So Roger the average is ~1 Gb for each file wowzastreamengine_access and wowzastreamengine_error. Log files are close with approximately the same size every day (they are created daily). These files are so large that don’t open in NotePad++ or NotePad.

One example in wowzastreamingengine_access:

2014-08-06 00:08:45 UTC comment server INFO 200 - MediaStreamMap.removeLiveStreamPacketizer[live/definst/name_of_camera_mobile.stream]: Destroy live stream packetizer: mpegdashstreamingpacketizer -

And in wowzastreamingengine_error:

MediaCasterConnection.connect: Failed to connect[name_of_camera.dyndns.org:554] : org.apache.mina.common.RuntimeIOException: Failed to get the session[ConnectException: null].|at org.apache.mina.common.support.DefaultConnectFuture.getSession(DefaultConnectFuture.java:71)|at com.wowza.wms.mediacaster.MediaCasterConnection.connect(MediaCasterConnection.java:70)|at com.wowza.wms.mediacaster.rtp.RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.doConnect(RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.java:2054)|at com.wowza.wms.mediacaster.rtp.RTPSessionDescriptionDataProvider => (this camera is off. It seems he does one of these for each camera off repeatedly).

Thank you for help Jason e Roger. I understood.

Only one more question: and the high use of memory what can be?

Guilherme.

Thank for reply Daren.

So i see a high use of memory in Wowza Streaming Engine Manager but using the commando top in server the use shown is lower. Sometimes Manager shows 80% of use and top commando 40%. Is it normal?

Guilherme

Thank you Daren. I understood now.

And is normal 80% use of memory with hundred streams in rtsp-live? All are registered in StartupStreams. Are used many resourches to create log files?

P.S: On average occur one hundred connections to the server, one pre-configured AMI with version of Wowza 4.0.6.

Guilherme