Wowza Community

Error in logs BufferUtils and show logs in terminal

Good afternoon!

I have this problem a lot of time! But only now I decided to descibe it. :slight_smile:

I stream some ip cameras and after some time in logs I saw this string^

BufferUtils.decodeHexString: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 2

Itā€™s repeat many times.

Could you help me with it?

And second problem is

I start wowza on ubuntu server in screen. And of course I saw ā€œliveā€ logs. But sometimes utility screen is down, but wowza still work. And I donā€™t see the logs. How can I open this live logs in terminal without restart wowza with /bin/.startup.sh ? Thank you!

Hi,

regarding your first problem - is this something in the logs but not affecting your live stream? Please describe your hardware/OS setup, Wowza version, impact to stream etc.

Iā€™m not quite sure what you mean with the secondary issue. It sounds OS related to me. Are you running Wowza using startup.sh rather than as a startup service?

Paul

Hello

We may be able to determine the issue for the repetitive logging errors if you could provide some more context surrounding that period of time. i.e. Get the logs previous to the error starting to occur and paste them in here as well.

As far as viewing the logs in realtime without starting Wowza in standalone mode (i.e. starting in service mode), you might be looking for the tail command. Please try something like the following:

# tail -f  [path-to-wowza]/logs/[log-file-to-view].log
tail -f /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/logs/wowzastreamingengine_access.log

Thanks,

Matt

Hi,

regarding your first problem - is this something in the logs but not affecting your live stream? Please describe your hardware/OS setup, Wowza version, impact to stream etc.

Iā€™m not quite sure what you mean with the secondary issue. It sounds OS related to me. Are you running Wowza using startup.sh rather than as a startup service?

Paul

Paul, ok, i try to describe it fully.

Problem 1:

Yes, you are right. Itā€™s only in logs and didnā€™t affect on streams. But I donā€™t understand why it shows! I watch the logs often and this repeat of the string is not good for me. What should I do to fix it? Thank you.

Problem 2:

Ubuntu 12.04 server is placed on my server. To start Wowza I use this path ==> /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/bin/.startup.sh . And of course, after this in the terminal I saw all connect, all logs online. You are right in this: ā€œAre you running Wowza using startup.sh rather than as a startup service?ā€ - Yes. Because, when I start wowza as a service I donā€™t see this logs in terminal. My question was How can I see the wowza logs when I start wowza as a service?

For ex: Wowza work perfectly, and I want for an hour to watch this logs. How can I do this?

ps: previously i used the word ā€œscreenā€. Itā€™s linux utility (http://www.tecmint.com/screen-command-examples-to-manage-linux-terminals/) . Because I wanted to watch the wowza logs, I started wowza /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/bin/.startup.sh in ā€œscreenā€ and latter I minimaze it and work this server.

Thatā€™s all. Waiting for an answers. Thank you!

matt_y, thank you! ā€œtailā€ utility help me!

But what about the buffer, I donā€™t know. It shows when ip camera is down and some time donā€™t work.

I want to reopen this theme. Because itā€™s a real problem!

We stream some ip cameras on our server. And sometimes itā€™s down. Wowza try to connect to this camera. After 1, 2 days in logs I see one string that repeat a lot of time:

BufferUtils.decodeHexString: Java.lang.StringIndexOutOFBoundsException: String index out of range 2

Itā€™s repeat many time! And in Wowza web interface I see that Total Memory is increase.

What should we do in this case? Thank you!

Does Anybody can help me?

UP!