Wowza Community

Configuring Google Cloud instance when unsure of usage

Still new and in testing. Question surrounding setting up Google Compute Engine for live stream. I’ve followed the instructions here https://www.wowza.com/docs/set-up-wowza-streaming-engine-on-google-cloud-platform for setting up Google compute engine. I’ve been able to use these instructions using the recommended minimum machine type of n1-standard-2 to successfully test using the Wowza goCoder with < 10 users consuming the live stream with success. Is there a guide I can be directed to that will help direct me as to how to set up my Google instance if I anticipate 20, 100, 1000+ users accessing the stream?

Hi Greg,

We don’t have a list of GCE configurations to estimate scale, categorically. Because each workflow and deployment is different, we recommend extensive testing. I would suggest you experiment with our load test tool to assess server performance in your environment. For more information, please see this article:

How To Get The RTMP Load Test Tool

Bandwidth is usually the limiting factor. As rule, consider this formula as a guide: (stream bitrate * max concurrent clients) < server bandwidth.

I hope you find this helpful.

-Tim