Wowza Community

APPLE HLS Memory Consuption problems - need help

We have a really big issue with Apple HLS. After it is activated it takes just about 6 hours an the Memory of 32GB is getting Full. Also the Wowza gets full after about one day of running.

The point is that Apple HLS is only activated but not released so no one can watch it. But still cause that huge amount of memory consuption.

We have no issues with RTMP at all. It never reaches the maximum of the Wowza heap or memory at all.

Further server and consumption Details:

We are Using Debian as Operating System

Wowza Version 4.0.4

The Java Heap is set to production level with 10 GB.

The Server has 32 GB in total

we have about 80-100 incoming streams.

The incoming Quality per stream is about 500-2500 kb/s (max bitrate)

The Viewer count are between: 800-1300 outgoing.

also we followed the tuning guide.

Hi there,

This article describes the properties that you can use to control how the HLS segmenter segments an incoming live stream.

It also includes a formula to estimate how much memory is used to store the chunks for a single live stream.

How to configure Apple HTTP Live Streaming packetization (cupertinostreaming)

You might decide to remove the Cupertino LiveStreamPacketizer from your application.xml file if you are not utilizing this protocol.

I hope this helps.

Salvadore

Hi,

The Wowza Heap bar indicates that it may be a memory leak and a heap dump of the running server may show where it is occurring.

Can you please open a support ticket with support@wowza.com and provide a description of the issue along with a link to this forum thread.

Please create a heap dump from the server using the process outlined here, https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-create-a-java-heap-dump-on-wowza-media-server. It will be a fairly large file so you will need to upload it to somewhere that we can download it from. Please include a download link in the support request.

Also, please zip up and include your conf, logs, transcoder/templates and manager/logs folders.

Note, if this is a linux server, the Total Memory bar in the graph also includes memory that is being used for OS level caching and network buffers. This memory is released automatically by the OS when required so can be considered as free memory however, Wowza has no way of separating the actual free memory from the cached memory so will always report higher than actual values for Total Memory.

You can use the linux free command to see actual memory usage. This page, http://www.linuxnix.com/2013/05/find-ram-size-in-linuxunix.html describes how to interpret the results.

Roger.

Hi there,

This article describes the properties that you can use to control how the HLS segmenter segments an incoming live stream.

It also includes a formula to estimate how much memory is used to store the chunks for a single live stream.

How to configure Apple HTTP Live Streaming packetization (cupertinostreaming)

You might decide to remove the Cupertino LiveStreamPacketizer from your application.xml file if you are not utilizing this protocol.

I hope this helps.

Salvadore

Thank you salvadore for you prompt reply. I think you didnt understand what i meant.

We want to use Apple HLS, but that it uses so much memory at the beginning, we dont want to imagine how bad it will be after 300 people watching through their ipads…

its is not released because we want to test it at first.

so i dont understand the sentence quite

“You might decide to remove the Cupertino LiveStreamPacketizer from your application.xml file if you are not utilizing this protocol.”

also i will try the link you provided and i will have a look over my configuration again.

do you have any further hints for me?

thank you a lot for your time an help

Got same problem. Year 2017. Wowza 4.7.0, Windows 2008 R2.

Guys, did you found solution?

Same issue here, honestly thought it was just us who had this problem.

Is there a solution for this?