Wowza Community

Getting Connection Counts from CDN

I have a dedicated Server with Wowza Streaming Engine 4. I have signed up for CDN service with a provider. The CDN resource is a LIVE resource (Wowza 3, their control). The URL works as follows:

rtmp://cdn.mydomain.com/app/mystream

CNAME FOR

rtmp://12345678.cdnprovider.com/12345678/app/mystream (‘/12345678’ is the LIVE app in their Wowza configuration)

WHICH POINTS TO

rtmp://stream.mydomain.com/app/mystream (stream.mydomain.com is proxied to mydomain.com:1935)

The app and stream are dynamic. I can point the CDN to any app and stream name, and it works. No problem here.

When I run a test stream, I know that only the CDN servers are connecting to Origin (my dedicated Wowza box), because I can see in the stream manager that there are only two connections when I open four players at rtmp://cdn.mydomain.com/app/mystream (one CDN server connection, and one connection from FMLE). That is the good news.

What I want to accomplish is to be able to get the connection counts from the CDN. Please tell me that this is possible! Can Wowza go up the pipe and grab connection counts and IPs?

Hi there.

I am sorry, but there is nothing built-in to Wowza to get connection counts from a CDN.

However, if the CDN has an API that can be used to get that information, then with so custom development you could access it.

Salvadore

I am sorry, I missed the detail about the CDN running Wowza.

Have you contacted the provider and inquired about this request? It may be that they can enable this tracking for you.

Salvadore

I did find this comment (Monitoring "Edge Servers" Connections) where the user recommends to setup a Load Balancer. From what I understand, he is able to use it to get connections are on each server that is connected to his origin, without actually using it to Load Balance. What do you make of this? Is it possible? How would I go about setting this up?

I have (waiting). All connections need to be sent back to the origin server.