Wowza Community

What happen when a mediacache disk failed ?

hi there

I want to make use of the mediacache to cache hot and recent content in the engine local disk , i would like to know what will happen when the cache disk failed ( I want to use 4 x 4TB disk as raid 0 to have max speed and size :slight_smile: ) , if the wowza engine can still stream from the root contend even

a sudden failed of a mediacache ? if that it true , can we repair the raid 0 pool on the fly and let mediacache work again automatically (During fail and repair , all request will still send to the mediacache app) ?

Thanks !

Hi,

you will lose your MediaCache in that disk configuration as RAID 0 is irreparable if a disk fails.

Choose RAID 1 if disk resilience is a requirement. You will also benefit from faster reads.

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

You can configure Wowza to try and play the content from the content directory first if it’s available. Please see the article below for details.

Media Cache implementation that will first try to access content locally before getting it from a remote source (MediaCacheLocalFirstRandomAccessReader)

Assuming that the disk which is being used to cache the content is not the same disk running Wowza this method should work if the content is also in the content directory.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

What i would like to know is if a mediacache storage failed (eg. the RAID 0 failed) , if the mediacache application will able to work without a cache ? (Of coz all I/O will be streamed from the root content)

eg this link will still works -> http://192.168.1.58:1935/mediacache/definst/mp4:path1/720_2500.mp4/manifest.f4m

or mediacahce must works with the local storage ?

Thanks