Wowza Community

LIVE streaming - Delay between FMLE and the RTMP Stream

Hi all,

I’m having this issue where there is a huge delay (sometimes in minutes) between the LIVE publishing stream (From FMLE) and the RTMP Stream. I’m running wowza on an EC2 instance (m3.xlarge).

I’m encoding using H.264 Baseline 3.0 with 2 Keyframe frequency .

Another side effect of this, when recording streams, if I stop the FMLE live broadcast, then the recording stops and the LIVE stream on the web stops before the actual end of the Live stream from FMLE, which ends up having a recording that is missing a couple of minutes (Depending on the delay).

I also want to mention that the Upload Internet Connection is very high 20MB> (Using 4G Network)

Any idea why?

Hello there, and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

What version of Wowza are you running? This sounds like you might be using a StreamType of “default” instead of “live” can you please confirm what StreamType you are using?

[install-dir]/conf/[your-app]/application.xml:

<Streams>
   <StreamType>?</StreamType>

Thank you.

Salvadore

Hi,

What is the actual bitrate of the stream being pushed to the EC2 instance?

Still, the top reason for there being such delays is the upload bandwidth, even though you say:

“I also want to mention that the Upload Internet Connection is very high 20MB> (Using 4G Network)”

4G networks usually do not provide any sort of guarantees of upload or download speed, especially a consistent one.

Daren

Hi,

I’d suggest you configure a scheduled stream on the EC2 server with a similarly encoded static file.

Then try to play that stream from your instance to your location.

This should help eliminate your own upload speed as the problem entirely, and help focus on the EC2 network

if that really is the issue.

Daren

I’m using the default installation of Wowza on amazon EC2 servers (LiceDev)

I do use the “Live” application, not sure if you are referring to this or I still have to modify the XML?

Thanks for replying.

Hi,

What is the actual bitrate of the stream being pushed to the EC2 instance?

Still, the top reason for there being such delays is the upload bandwidth, even though you say:

“I also want to mention that the Upload Internet Connection is very high 20MB> (Using 4G Network)”

4G networks usually do not provide any sort of guarantees of upload or download speed, especially a consistent one.

Daren

I encode it at 900kbps with 96kbps for audio. I usually test the upload speed on speedtest.net and it is pretty consistent.

Do you think that the EC2 network performance could be a potential bottleneck?

Also, do you think that the issue is more on the upload side, rather than the downstream and encoding side on Wowza?