Wowza Community

rtmp redirect not working on LB4 on JW Player (latest version)

Dear Wowza Community and Support-Team,

iam trying to get the rtmp redirect working based on the knowledge i got from the LB2 and LB4 Tutorial.

i followed the WowzaDynamicLoadBalancingAddOn_UsersGuide.pdf.

The following section is from the tutorial and explains me how to do it:

RTMP redirection

To add RTMP redirection functionality to the Load Balancer, configure the load-balancing system, and then add the following module to the Application.xml file for any live or VOD application on the Load Balancer.

Be sure to add it “after” the last that’s included in the section in Application.xml. The following example shows an RTMP redirection module named redirect:

<Module> 
<Name>Redirect</Name> 
<Description>Redirect</Description> 
<Class>com.wowza.wms.plugin.loadbalancer.redirect.ClientConnections</Class> 
</Module>

This module returns an RTMP redirect to clients that connect to the Load Balancer, except for those that are configured to be ignored in the loadbalanceIgnoreClients property in the Server.xml file. Wowza edge servers that connect to a Load Balancer that’s also an origin server in a live stream repeater (origin/edge) configuration are also ignored.

An example URL used to redirect RTMP clients is:

rtmp://[load-balancer-ip-address]:1935/redirect/[application-name]/

In this example, RTMP clients are redirected to:

rtmp://[load-balanced-server-ip-address]:1935/[application-name]/

What i didnt understand is, in the older LoadBalancer 2 configuration is totally different than LB4 configuration?

do i have to create a redirect folder in the application and also in the conf with the Application.xml like in LB2 and every other app ? Or do i just have to add the Module to my own wowza live application?

<Modules> section in Application.xml. The following example shows an RTMP redirection module named redirect: <Module> 
<Name>Redirect</Name> 
<Description>Redirect</Description> 
<Class>com.wowza.wms.plugin.loadbalancer.redirect.ClientConnections</Class> 
</Module>

in JW Player i tried:

file: "rtmp://54.77.10.191/redirect/godev/" + channel

and i tried:

file: "rtmp://54.77.10.191/redirect/" + channel,

i can not understand the manual from that sheet. i tried every combination and i ended up in errors or the jw player just done nothing.

and finally some critics to you guys (please dont get it personally):

Also what i found really frustrating that the Wowza Loadbalancer Server are unregistering themselfes permanently every ~30 seconds ?. I am using the dev licenese but its really anoying to restart the LB Servers als the time because you guys limited it too hard. this is not a good way to develop. What is the problem to give the devs 15 minutes? no one will steal or abuse your pogramm because of it. And if some wants to crack the time limit i am pretty sure people will do.:mad:

sorry for my bad english

kind regards

Hi,

Some Flash players have limited support for RTMP redirect. In the newer JW Player versions, the support for RTMP redirect has been removed

We are currently looking into an RTMP XML redirect mechanism issue that should work with JWPlayer. Currently a fix is being tested and as soon as it’s validated it will be included in the LoadBalancer4 package.

Also we are also working on improving the Load Balancer documentation.

I agree with you. The 30 seconds time interval limitation is too small and I will pass your remarks to our product management team to increase this time limit to a more usable time interval.

Zoran

Hi,

Just to update you on my last post.

I have checked with our engineers and it looks like the time limitation for the developer license is set to 10 minutes. I just did a quick check on my test platform and I can confirm that using a developer license my loadbalancer client application was disconnected after 10 minutes.

Zoran

Hi,

To update you on the RTMP XML redirect mechanism issue that can be used with JWPlayer. A fix for this problem was released in the latest Load Balancer 4 addon package. The instructions on how to correctly use it are also provided in the uers guide document delivered in the ZIP package.

You can find the download link for the latest Load Balancer 4 addon package in the Dynamic Load Balancing for Wowza Streaming Engine forum article.

Zoran

Hi Tom,

What version of JW Player are you using?

Zoran

Hi,

To update you on the RTMP XML redirect mechanism issue that can be used with JWPlayer. A fix for this problem was released in the latest Load Balancer 4 addon package. The instructions on how to correctly use it are also provided in the uers guide document delivered in the ZIP package.

You can find the download link for the latest Load Balancer 4 addon package in the Dynamic Load Balancing for Wowza Streaming Engine forum article.

Zoran

I am using WMS and LB2 and the redirect seems to be working fine with JW player. Is the redirect problem only with LB4 and JW player 6.10?

Tom

Hi Tom,

What version of JW Player are you using?

Zoran

It’s the cloud hosted JW player. I have the Premium player per my subscription with JW player.