Wowza Community

rtmfp and multicasting in Wowza

We are trying to decide between using Wowza and Adobe Media Server. We are making an app that will live stream from a phone to a server and then out to another phone. The streaming phone could sometimes be in a car, which means the connection could be very unreliable. We were very interested in the following features that rtmfp offers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Media_Flow_Protocol

"Rapid Connection Restore: Connections are re‐established quickly after brief outages. For example, when a wireless network connection experiences a dropout. After reconnection, the connection has full capabilities instantly.

IP Mobility: Active network peer sessions are maintained even if a client changes to a new IP address. For example, when a laptop on a wireless network is plugged into a wired connection and receives a new network address.

We would prefer to use Wowza rather than Adobe Media Server. Can we somehow get these features using Wowza? Has anybody else run into requirements like this? How do people handle multiplayer online games if the players are in cars?

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

This is not supported with Wowza. From everything I can find in the forum, there is no plan to support RTMFP.

Thank you.

Salvadore

Thank you Salvadore for the definitive response. That was what I suspected. Do you know of any alternatives to AMS to get the benefits listed above? Rapid reconnection and ip mobility are very important for us, but we would rather not be limited to AMS and Flash Action Script and would rather find a Java solution that works in Wowza. Should I perhaps post something in the consultants section?