Wowza Community

IP camera to webpage on multiple devices

Hi everyone.

Ive been hacking at this for a few months and Ive gotten to the point where I have the wowza server up and running. The server is fetching an rtsp stream from an IP camera in h264.

On the server in applications when I test my players most of them work through chrome.

MPEG Dash - great image

APPLE HLS - not supported in browser

Adobe RTMP - great image

Adobe HDS - great image

MS Smooth - great image

now here is the big question.

How do i put the image into a webpage that supports all devices and browsers?

Well in reality, most devices and browsers

I have searched high and low but I keep getting results directed to purchasing players, I dont understand why I need a player when its clearly playing.

Steve

Hi,

Unfortunately it’s just not that simple.

Not all browsers support all protocols, across desktops and

mobile devices.

The best way to do this at the moment, until everything standardizes (unlikely)

is to build browser/device aware web pages that load players or and/select URLs

for the correct devices.

Here’s an “Example of Browser Aware Player Code” from one of our frequent Wowza community members:

It might not be exactly what you want, but has potential in that it can be customized/modified to meet your requirements.

Daren

Hi,

Since support for all streaming protocols is not fully supported by browsers built in HTML5 players, it is necessary to

make up for that shortcoming by embedding a player that is capable. All browsers can embed additional players quite

easily.

Daren

Hi Daren, thank you for your reply.

Yes its not a simple task and I agree its unlikely streaming technology will standardise.

Ok so the page needs to detect the browser/device and deliver the relevant feed to the device. Hopefully this is something I can push back onto the website developers - possibly not.

In your reply you mention using JWPlayer, is a player a necessity? That confuses me becuase wowza server alows me to test streams in my browswer and devices. which makes me wonder what is the player actually doing.

Steve