Wowza Community

request suggestion for new dedicated server

hey

im planning to purchase a dedicated server to run wowza engine on.

now im planning that around 100 ppl would stream at the same time.

can you tell me which specification should the server have? cpu/ram etc…

Thanks!

Hi vaxxor , I have to know the answer of following question for recommendation.

what’s the stream quailty ?

What’s your estimation about client number , how many people watch these 100 streams ?

Do you think of using transcoder ? Will you transrate the stream , ie : 720p original stream, do you think of streaming this as 480p 240p etc ?

Kind Regards,

Emre Karatasoglu

emre.karatasoglu@hotmail.com

LetheaSoftware

http://letheasoftware.com

http://emrekaratasoglu.com

Hi,

The server will need to have high CPU core count if you’re wanting to transcode the streams into multiple renditions as transcoding is a very CPU intensive process.

Please see the Transcoding benchmark for an idea of how many transcodes a single server can do.

Bandwidth is the usual limiting factor when streaming, with a 1 Gbps NIC you will get around 800 Mbps as you loose around 20%. With 1,000 concurrent connections, the streams can’t (on average) be over 800 Kbps.

I recommend you allow only the HTTP clients you’re going to stream to if you have many published streams as each one will hold chunks in memory and thus use the memory on the server. You can reduce the duration of stream held in memory for HTTP clients by using the guides below:

How to configure Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming packetization (sanjosestreaming)

How to configure Apple HTTP Live Streaming packetization (cupertinostreaming)

How to configure Microsoft Smooth Streaming packetization (smoothstreaming)

How to configure MPEG-DASH packetization (mpegdashstreaming)

Ensure that you tune the server using the Tuning Guide for the best use of the hardware.

You will also want to take a look at the “System Requirements” section of the Specifications page for hardware needs.

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

There is no downside to using RTMP protocol for streaming.

The keyframe interval is something which is set at the encoder.

Regards,

Jason

there would be a choices in the player of source,720p,480p etc…

and lets say i have 1000 watchers at the same time.

i dont think ill use transcoder, but if ill do, how would it change the server choice?

thanks for your answer jason,

i got another few questions.

is there a downside using rtmp protocol for streaming when alot of publishers would stream live at the same time?

also in “How to configure Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming packetization (sanjosestreaming)” i didn’t find where to change the key frame interva, where do i change it?