Wowza Community

Latency in ipad device while playing the url obtained from wowza streaming engine

Hi,

As you said, I have changed keyframe interval of 1 frame per second to lower the cupertinoChunkDurationTarget to 1 second(1000) and get the latency down to closer to 3 seconds. But still the same latency i.e.more than 30 seconds is there. I restarted the system also .

Here are the details modified in application.xml

cupertinoChunkDurationTarget

Integer

cupertinoMaxChunkCount

Integer

cupertinoPlaylistChunkCount

Integer

cupertinoRepeaterChunkCount

Integer

Here are my encoder setting details. Please help me to reduce the latency. Iam using adobe flash media live encoder for publishing into wowza.

Frame rate: 30 fps

Keyframe frequecy: 1 second

Level :3.1

input size:320*240

Bit rate: 650 kbps

Please help me to do any corrections for reducing latency while playing the wowza url in devices.

Thanks,

laxmi.

Hi Laxmi,

Please double check that you have entered these properties at the right location of the Application.xml file, the should be added to the LiveStreamPacketizer/Properties

Are you referring to start time or latency, or both? Start time is how long it takes for a user to start seeing video after starting playback. Latency is how far behind the stream is compared to the encoder.

If you start Wowza in stand-alone mode [install-dir]/bin/startup.bat|.sh, you should see lines in the console like this. Please post what you see for these lines:

Code:

LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.endChunkTS[…]: Add chunk: id:1 mode:TS[H264,MP3] a/v/k:102/24/1 duration:1000

How are you testing? Is it local or remote, is it iOS device or HLS desktop playback with JW Player or VLC?

You can reduce the bitrate of the stream. You can remove network factors if you are testing remote to see what the delay is without that. Understand that iOS devices need 3 chunks before playback, so if the bitrate is very high and the device is remote and a slower connection, it still has to download 3 large chunks.

Thank you.

Salvadore

Hi Lexmi,

Thanks for the update and I am glad to hear you got this sorted.

The iPad remembers where the volume level is for speakers and headphones. So if your headphone speaker volume is full and the internal speaker is set to zero, that might explain it.

Try increasing the volume with the physical buttons without the headphones plugged in and see if it was set to zero.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi Salvadore,

As you mentioned like below,

If you start Wowza in stand-alone mode [install-dir]/bin/startup.bat|.sh, you should see lines in the console like this.

Code:

LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.endChunkTS[…]: Add chunk: id:1 mode:TS[H264,MP3] a/v/k:102/24/1 duration:1000

I have checked this one. Instead of 1000, 10000 is there even if I have been modified as 10000 in application.xml. So I have reinstalled the wowza streaming engine again and modified. So now it is working. Thanks a lot for your quick support.

But in iPad while playing the video, audio is not audible. But if use headphones, I can able to hear.

Any reason behind this? Please suggest me the solution.

Thanks

-laxmi

Hi,

Iam just editing my question again .At wowza streaming engine server, I can able to play video and able to hear the audio very clearly in macmini through headphones. But if the same video if Iam playing in ipad, it is not audible properly. Please suggest me with the solution.

Thanks,

laxmi