Thread: Accessing streams via HTTPS not working

Default Accessing streams via HTTPS not working

Using Wowza streaming engine on AWS and streaming via regular HTTP is working with a DASH player. need to get it working via HTTPS.

I followed the instructions in the "How to request an SSL certificate from a certificate authority" article, obtained and installed a cert and adjusted the VHost.xml file to uncomment the <!-- 440 with SSL --> section. Ensured that our DNS had pointing at our AWS instance.

Test player still works when using HTTP and the old port. Also works if I use http and the domain name:
    Also works if I use http and port 443 (which seems odd to me)
    However, I cannot get any form of httpS to play a stream. I've tried 443 and 1935. MPEG-DASH and Adobe HDS. I feel like there must be a configuration step that was missed.

Here are the commands I used:
    sudo keytool -genkey -keysize 2048 -alias wowza -keyalg RSA -keystore
    (gave it as the first and last name)
    sudo keytool -certreq -file -alias wowza -keyalg RSA -keystore
    When I received the certs, I installed them:
    sudo keytool -import -alias root -trustcacerts -file DigiCertCA.crt -keystore
    sudo keytool -import -alias wowza -trustcacerts -file sentryvidserv_us.crt -keystore
    Here is the result of keytool -list -keystore
    Enter keystore password:  
    Keystore type: JKS
    Keystore provider: SUN
    Your keystore contains 2 entries
    root, Oct 10, 2014, trustedCertEntry, 
    Certificate fingerprint (SHA1): 1F:B8:6B:11:68:........:71:A4:B7:CC:B4
    wowza, Oct 10, 2014, PrivateKeyEntry, 
    Certificate fingerprint (SHA1): 43:AF:E0:BC:26:.......:A8:CB:CA:54:02:2B:AE:70

Here is the <Hostport> section of VHost.xml:
    				<Name>Default SSL Streaming</Name>
    What else needs to be done to enable streaming over HTTPS??

Many thanks,

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

I am sorry I dont have much to offer here as I have not set this up myself. But looking closely at the guide and what you have shown, all I can see that is different is the "ssl" in the command lines.
    What you have:
    sudo keytool -genkey -keysize 2048 -alias wowza -keyalg RSA -keystore
    What the guide shows:
    keytool -certreq -file -alias wowza -keyalg RSA -keystore
    I notice you omitted the "ssl" part in most of the command lines, and included it on one.

Also, in the VHost you have:
    And the guide mentions:
    Lastly, the guide provides a link to a troubleshooting guide:
    A bug in the Oracle Java Development Kit (JDK) affects connections that use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates. Occasionally the SSL handshake fails during Diffie-Hellman key exchange and the connection hangs. For more information, see How to fix intermittent HTTP/SSL failure (padding exception).

Again, I apologize for not having more to offer. If you still need help and no one from support has replied you could open a support ticket by zipping the following directories and sending them to

Kind regards,

You are very observant Savadore!

Thanks much for your input. I do believe that (without the SSL) is correct for us, but I am not 100% sure. I have a support ticket open. Looking through my command history you might be right that I included the ssl. in front of the keystore on the import of the "wowza" cert. I will re-try and see if it helps.

How do you have resolve this? I have the same probs

This is a rather old ticket and may or may not be relevant to the issue you are experiencing. I would suggest that you open a support ticket with us and include the steps you've taken and we can look at your specific workflow. Include a zip of your /conf and /logs too.