Wowza Community

native android player (MediaPlayer) vs VLC

Hi everyone, I’m building an android app that took RTSP Wowza streaming and it’s working but I can’t listen anything. In the same device , with VLC I can see and listen ok.

It seems like native android player doesn’t work with .h264 and mp3 audio.

I would like to know why VLC could play this in my android device and not my app.

I have to add external libraries?

Regards,

Martin

Hello Martin and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

You are correct, mp3 is not supported on Android:

Most Android devices support RTSP/RTP streaming. When streaming to an Android device using RTSP/RTP, the RTP portion must flow over UDP. Android doesn’t support RTSP/RTP interleaved (RTP over TCP). This means that if UDP is unavailable for RTP playback, RTP over TCP won’t work as a failover and your stream won’t play. Android devices can’t play MP3 streams over RTSP/RTP in any combination (audio/video or audio-only).

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Martin, yes AAC audio would work with Android, and is ideal when streaming with Wowza.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Yes, the Transcoder will be able to transcode mp3 to AAC for delivery to Android devices.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi, please take a look at this guide on setting up the Transcoder. If you have any specific problems along the way let us now, preferably in a new thread. And we will see about helping solve them as they arise:

How to set up and run Wowza Transcoder AddOn for live streaming

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi, We have a similar problem whit Android devices.

Our ENCODER (Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder) sends streams in mp3 format to Wowza Streaming Engine.

Is the use of Wowza Transcoders an alternative solution?

Best regards,

goodarz

I have the Transcoder installed. How can I configure it and test it for my Livestream Application?

I need to change something default templates?

Kind regards,

goodarz

Hi Salvadore, thanks for your reply. As a developer ,I can suggest some Wowza changes.Could you suggest me something say to the Wowza admin ?

Something like ,change audio to one of the following :

3GPP (.3gp)

MPEG-4 (.mp4)

MPEG-TS (.ts, AAC

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Martin