Wowza Community

IP camera on demand broadcasting

Using a number of Axis IP cameras, would like to rebroadcast them on demand and not have the wowza server always being fed each stream. In the stream options it says you can set the mediacaster to timeout when no players are connected. Is this only for RTMP, doesn’t work for HLS or HDS? If so, are there any tricks to having it only connect when needed? We’re doing 720p 3Mb streams so I don’t really want to have 70 cameras streaming at the same time, when we’d only ever need to be broadcasting 2-3 at a time. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Also would be nice to be able to do ABR on those couple streams, but it seems when we run out of transcoder licenses and close the stream that’s using the license, any transrated streams that are “Waiting for stream” don’t automatically kick in and then require a reset.

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

If your clients are RTMP and/or RTSP you would just need to set your stream type to “rtp-live”. When using the “rtp-live” stream type in your application’s configuration file, the source stream will be published to Wowza only when the first client connects to the stream

For HTTP streams to be active, the data packets need to be packetized. Wowza will start packetizing the HTTP stream as soon as the stream is published. The stream is not published if there isn’t at least one client requesting the stream. So basically, an HTTP client can not be the first to request the rtp-live stream. Once the stream has been published by an RTMP client, HTTP clients can connect.

I hope this answers your question.

Salvadore

I am not aware of any way to set this stream type through the Manager UI, there may be a way. I edit the Application.xml file and change the to “rtp-live”

Salvadore

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

If your clients are RTMP and/or RTSP you would just need to set your stream type to “rtp-live”. When using the “rtp-live” stream type in your application’s configuration file, the source stream will be published to Wowza only when the first client connects to the stream

For HTTP streams to be active, the data packets need to be packetized. Wowza will start packetizing the HTTP stream as soon as the stream is published. The stream is not published if there isn’t at least one client requesting the stream. So basically, an HTTP client can not be the first to request the rtp-live stream. Once the stream has been published by an RTMP client, HTTP clients can connect.

I hope this answers your question.

Salvadore

Thanks! I thought it was something like that, appreciate you clearing it up for me. Wish that wasn’t the case, guessing there maybe something I can do with scripts to start/stop, haven’t really looked at the mediacaster api much. Just would’ve been simpler if wowza could handle it like it does for rtmp.

I’m probably missing something right in front of me, but is the only way to set rtp-live in the application.xml? I seem to remember v3.x having an option to choose rtp-live but don’t see it in 4.

We are testing Wowza Streaming Engine Version4.7.4 (build 21380).

And all of we need is rebroadcast Axis IP cameras on demand.

This is not working:

Edit the Application.xml file and change the <StreamType> to "rtp-live"

Any ideas?

This was a long time ago but I think as Sal mentioned in the other reply that you can’t on demand the HTTP streams. Was really a bummer… I haven’t checked in a long time but I don’t think anything has changed. For the transcoding issue I was able to get a different license type from wowza for on premise transcoding. Was very reasonable.