Wowza Community

Stream not healthy - RTSP streaming bunny video with VLC

Hi,

I have opened the bunny example video from VLC and I am trying to re-stream it with Wowza. What I do is start broadcasting it with VLC, with this settings:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:duplicate{dst=rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554/bunny},dst=display} :sout-all :sout-keep

Also tried adding mux=ts to the rtp{} part.

I can open it from an other VLC instance and watch the movie. Then I created an application, and set it up based on the articles (rtp), add the stream file (rtsp://localhost:8554/bunny), connect to the stream successfully, etc.

Then I try to open it from the FLASH test player and it’s only black. Says successfully published stream, but nothing gets played. This is what I see in the logs:

INFO stream publish bunny.stream -
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.Reconnector[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]: done: 6
INFO server comment - MediaCasterStreamValidator.getMonitor[childcare/_definst_] create:bunny.stream
INFO server comment - MediaCasterStreamValidator.onValidateMediaCaster[childcare/_definst_] Stream not healthy [stream startup timeout]: mp4:bunny.stream
INFO server comment - MediaCasterStreamValidator.onValidateMediaCastersStop[childcare/_definst_] Reset stream [mediaCaster]: mp4:bunny.stream
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.resetConnection[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]:
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.closeRTPSession[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.close closeSession
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.onClose
INFO server comment - RTPSessionTracker.remove[rtsp://localhost:8554/bunny]: 0:true
INFO stream unpublish bunny.stream -
INFO stream destroy bunny.stream -
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.Reconnector[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]: start: 7
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.doConnect: rtsp://localhost[127.0.0.1]:8554/bunny
INFO server comment - RTPSessionTracker.add[rtsp://localhost:8554/bunny]: 1
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.buildSDPData: sessionId:null sessionTimeout:0
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasic.getStreamInfo[childcare/_definst_]: RTSP/RTP re-streaming. Success, received SDP data.
INFO stream create - -
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.Reconnector[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]: done: 7
INFO server comment - MediaCasterStreamValidator.getMonitor[childcare/_definst_] create:bunny.stream
INFO server comment - MediaCasterStreamValidator.onValidateMediaCaster[childcare/_definst_] Stream not healthy [stream startup timeout]: mp4:bunny.stream
INFO server comment - MediaCasterStreamValidator.onValidateMediaCastersStop[childcare/_definst_] Reset stream [mediaCaster]: mp4:bunny.stream
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.resetConnection[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]:
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.closeRTPSession[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.close closeSession
INFO stream unpublish bunny.stream -
INFO stream destroy bunny.stream -
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.onClose
INFO server comment - RTPSessionTracker.remove[rtsp://localhost:8554/bunny]: 0:true
INFO server comment - RTPMediaCaster.Reconnector[2096477826:childcare/_definst_:bunny.stream]: start: 8
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.doConnect: rtsp://localhost[127.0.0.1]:8554/bunny
INFO server comment - RTPSessionTracker.add[rtsp://localhost:8554/bunny]: 1
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasicRTSPWorker.buildSDPData: sessionId:null sessionTimeout:0
INFO server comment - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasic.getStreamInfo[childcare/_definst_]: RTSP/RTP re-streaming. Success, received SDP data.
INFO stream create - -

Can you tell me what’s this stream not healthy thing?

I have seen this very old thread, Streaming RTSP from VLC problem but this is not serious support, saying “you may have more success with that”, and not explaining based on the specs and docs why this would not work and why that would work. And finally the thread ends without any resolution.

Thanks,

wtb

Hi,

It appears from the output there are a couple of things going on here

• Your encoder is sending to port 8544, but Wowza Streaming Engine is not listening on the this port, it will not by default.

• You have configured Wowza to connect to port 8554 and attempt to pull in the stream using a TCP connection, based on the command line I dont think this correct

I would do the following

• Use the following tutorial to set up the VLC command line, I assume you have seen this, but if you go back to this setup

How-to-use-VLC-as-a-live-stream-encoder-with-Wowza-Media-Server-(MPEG-TS)

• In your bunny.stream file enter

udp://0.0.0.0:10000

If you then start Wowza and the stream it should connect and make the stream available.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for helping me. Looks like I don’t fully understand the conception.

So if VLC has the “rtsp://:8554/bunny” setting, that means VLC listens on that port for RTSP commands, right? So why do you say that “Wowza Streaming Engine is not listening on the this port” ? Isn’t Wowza the client in this case making the RTSP primitive calls to VLC?

I see that on the thread you refer to there is an other setup, but what I actually was trying to achieve is trying to simulate an IP webcam. With Wowza the current way to connect to that webcam is creating a stream file and entering an url that follows this “rtsp://user:pass:ip.ip.ip.ip:port” pattern. So I am trying to force VLC to act in a way that the IP webcam does.

Regards,

wtb

Hi stream toolbox, did you solve this problem? I have exactly the same…

thanks.

Opening Video from VLC and I am trying to re-stream it with Wowza. What I do is start broadcasting it with VLC, with this settings but not get the correct way of it then I think to contact Windows Media Player Service that helps me in this so much.