Wowza Community

How to configure stream shutdown time of edge when there are no client connected?

Hi All,

On an Edge Server configuration, we observed that the Edge server shuts down a stream and disconnects from the Origin when there are no client connected. When the edge receives a petition to play the stream, the edge server reconnects to the Origin server and restart the streaming. The problem we are having is that it takes longer before the clients can play the stream that have been shutdown and restarted. Is there a way to control how long the edge server should wait before it shuts down the stream when there are no client connected? We don’t want to completely remove this feature as it is very practical to remove streams that are not frequently being requested to conserve resources and network traffic. What we would like to do is to just delay this shutdown for at least 2 hours so that the succeding clients requesting the already running stream will take less time to start playing.

Best Regards,

Ferdinand

I found a parameter that might be what I am looking for. It’s called ApplicationTimeout in Application.xml and it is described as:

Length of time, in milliseconds, that the server will wait before shutting down an application to which no clients are connected.

I am not really sure, it sounds like it’s for the whole application and for the stream.

Can you guys confirm if this will do the trick?

I found a parameter that might be what I am looking for. It’s called ApplicationTimeout in Application.xml and it is described as:

Length of time, in milliseconds, that the server will wait before shutting down an application to which no clients are connected.

I am not really sure, it sounds like it’s for the whole application and for the stream.

Can you guys confirm if this will do the trick?

anyone?