Wowza Community

Can't publish a live stream from MPEG-TS based encoder, why?

I’m using Wowza 4.1.0 and trying to publish and play MPEG-TS stream according to this tutorial: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-publish-and-play-a-live-stream-mpeg-ts-based-encoder

When all steps are done I can see stream as active, and with Wireshark I can see MPEG-TS stream coming in. But when using test players I’m receiving only error “Source stream or file could not be found or access was denied” (MS Smooth Player). Once it was some “error 3002”. Of course, I’ve checked link, it looks like http://192.168.0.155:1935/TestApp/TestStream.stream/Manifest (IP and names are actual). What can I do to solve this problem?

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

What are the encoder settings for audio and video codecs?

Have you tested the stream with the RTMP example player that ships with Wowza?

Do you see any errors or warn messages in the logs? You can start Wowza in stand alone mode ([install-dir]/bin/startup.bat) to view the log output in the console.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

Wowza supports the following for decoding before transcoding takes place:

Video decoding

H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2

Audio decoding

AAC, G.711 (µ-law and A-law), MPEG-1 Layer 1/2, MPEG-3, Speex

You can tell Wowza Streaming Engine which Network interface to look at for multicast with these instructions.

For issues with MPEG-DASH playback, take a look at this troubleshooting section of the

MPEG-DASH guide we have.

The MPEG-DASH players that we have are not that recent, there have been further developments in area (remember MPEG-DASH is very much still in the early adoption stage and so in flux),

this MPEGDASH player here is more cutting edge.

Daren

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

What are the encoder settings for audio and video codecs?

Have you tested the stream with the RTMP example player that ships with Wowza?

Do you see any errors or warn messages in the logs? You can start Wowza in stand alone mode ([install-dir]/bin/startup.bat) to view the log output in the console.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi. I’ve tested all example players available, some of them aren’t supported by the browser. With those which are supported, the main error I’ve seen was “Source stream or file could not be found or access was denied”. Encoder sends MPEG-TS stream using, I believe, H.264 and MP3, but I’m not sure now, I will be able to check it tomorrow. However, the stream seemed like it manages to get “into” Wowza as I see incoming Mbps in app monitoring. Speaking of logs, I will check tomorrow too.

Also, I’ve tested Wowza with VLC Player as a streaming source, sending MPEG-TS via UDP, H.264+MP3 (this time for sure). Wowza was able to process and transcode it (transrate to the same H.264 and audio passthrough), and I’ve seen and heard it working with Adobe RTPM and HDS sample players, but MPEG-DASH player says “The video could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported” and thus plays nothing. Huh? I thought H.264 is the preferred format for MPEG-DASH, isn’t it?

Hello again. I’ve checked my main configuration as you proposed. Codecs of the UDP stream are identified as MPEG-1/2 for video, and MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3. That stream is playing normally with VLC Player. When starting Wowza in standalone mode, console output, however, says that URI is “Invalid URI: udp://239.192.1.1:6085” (the actual uri).

As user guide says, those formats are supported for decoding, isn’t it? Then what I need to do for that URI became valid?

Another detail. If I re-stream this stream (without transcoding) via VLC Player to udp://127.0.0.1:1234, Wowza manages to ingest and play it with Adobe test players. So it is not an issue of codecs.

That udp://239.192.1.1:6085 stream is IGMP multicast stream, so when trying to connect it Wowza must send IGMP queries to corresponding interface, but it is not happens (or at least not always). Any chance to control this? Or is it under OS control?

Okay, with different network configurations it became clear that Wowza can not always ingest an incoming IGMP stream. Now there is the only network interface, and when I specify incoming stream (like udp://224.1.1.1:1234) it works, Wowza manages to send proper IGMP query and so on. But when there are additional interfaces, it may work and may not to.

I’ve tested it on Windows Server and Home Premium editions. Is there some option to set in Wowza to specify particular incoming multicast interface, or it must be done somehow in Windows?

You can tell Wowza Streaming Engine which Network interface to look at for multicast with these instructions.

Oh, with all that queries I made through google, the most obvious phrase was missed. :smiley: Thank you very much, that is what I need.