Wowza Community

Incoming Security > RTMP Publishing > Require password authentication

Hi, how to authenticate (Incoming Security > RTMP Publishing > Require password authentication) using AS3?

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

I’m not exactly sure what you are asking, but we have several security options. The MediaSecurity package has ModuleRTMPAuthenticate:

Media security overview

Or these similar options:

How to do file-based authentication with RTMP client and credentials in querystring of the RTMP URL (ModuleOnConnectAuthenticate2)

How to configure security using Wowza Streaming Engine Manager (RTMP Publishing)

How to do file-based authentication with RTMP client with credentials passed as parameters of NetConnection connect (ModuleOnConnectAuthenticate)

If you are developing something or extending one of the above, you can get userAgent with client.getFlashVer() in onConnect, so you can tell if the client is an encoder that you want to allow.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Wowza provides the source code for the different players that ship with each install. Take a look at the source code in [install-dir]/examples/LiveVideoStreaming/FlashRTMPPlayer/Live.flv and|or [install-dir]/examples/VideoOnDemandStreaming/FlashRTMPPlayer/VOD.flv

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hello. I am sorry, I researched this a little further and from what I can tell, RTMP authentication is not supported in Flash applications.

Again, there are alternatives:

How to do file-based authentication with RTMP client and credentials in querystring of the RTMP URL (ModuleOnConnectAuthenticate2)

Example AS to make authenticated RTMP connection:

netconnection.connect("rtmp://[wowza-address]/[app-name]?user1&pass1");

How to do file-based authentication with RTMP client with credentials passed as parameters of NetConnection connect (ModuleOnConnectAuthenticate)

Example AS to create authenticated connection:

var username:String = "user1";
var password = "pass1";
netconnection.connect("rtmp://[wowza-address]/yourApp",username,password);

You will find more code examples in the comments of these articles.

NOTE: These modules are compatible with the Wowza Streaming Engine Incoming Security > RTMP Publishing > Require Password Authentication setting. If you use this module, the RTMP Publishing setting must be set to Open.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

The file-based query parameter authentication is basically a workaround for publishers that can’t use the correct RTMP authentication process, so Incoming Security for RTMP does need to be set to open to allow this to happen. However, no publisher will be able to connect unless they pass valid credentials via the query parameters, e.g.

rtmp://[wowza-ip]:1935/live/myStream?user1&pass1

Paul

Hello, salvadore!

How do I use the security of RTMP Publishing with ActionScript?

The code is in the examples has no implementation of “RTMP Publishing” with “Require password authentication”.

The code is in the examples has no implementation of “RTMP Publishing” with “Require password authentication”.

salvadore?

this will fail hard when combining it with source security

no solutions for this?

when u put this to open all other source protection will allow all.