Thread: HLS Playback Start Time: RTSP vs MPEG-TS source stream

Default HLS Playback Start Time: RTSP vs MPEG-TS source stream

Hello,

I'm using startMediaCasterStream() to dynamically connect to a set of streams that are then re-streamed with HLS.
    I'm noticing big playback start time differences between an RTSP and an MPEG-TS source: it takes around 0.5-0.7 seconds to connect to the MPEG-TS stream and between 4-15 !! seconds or the RTSP source

The intervals above are the time between the startMediaCasterStream() call and the time the streams appear as published (logged in a custom module), so before the actual HLS segmentation begins (the final playback start time would be this time + at least 2 x chunk target duration, in my case 3000).

Is this caused by transmuxing or are there some options to be tweaked in order to speed up the playback start time? I tried disabling the jitter buffer, packet sorting etc. but it doesn't seem to affect the start time.

Thank you for any suggestions/ideas.
    Last edited by aergistal; 12-16-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Ok, I sorted this out. By default the AVSyncMethod for RTP is senderreport. RTCP ports were unreachable so it tried to get a SR multiple times before giving up, hence the wait time.
    Turning off the StreamValidator further reduced the time.

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you sorted this out.

Regards,

Salvadore