Wowza Community

Request/Suggestion: Reload configuration files on the fly with out restarting.

Hi every one,

I have been trialing Wowza now for a good while and thus far it is doing everything that I need and more! fantastic job xD

There are however a few scenarios where I personally see improvement could be made to the system, these improvements are directly associated with running Wowza under a multiple vhost setups.

The primary problem that could be improved upon is as follows:

Having to reboot the server when adding a new vhost; this is a major problem with the current system!

The reason this is a problem is as follows:

Anyone connected to the system using it in any way (live streaming, VOD recording or playback e.t.c.) will have their activity interrupted and connection dropped when the server is cycled to reboot.

In my particular production environment that simply cannot happen. I require maximum uptime as my system will be in constant use more or less around the clock. Currently the way the system is designed we are forced to perform a daily maintenance cycle to initialize the new vhosts, thus holding up new vhost creations to once a day rather than on the fly as needed.

The solution:

A recode of the Wowza backend (yes I know this is not a small thing to do), that would allow at-runtime reloading of it’s configuration, allowing new vhosts and applications to be created without the need to reboot the Wowza server. This would allow users to remain connected to the services without any interruptions.

Primary Request/Suggestion:

• The ability to add a new vhost and automatically have Wowza reload its configuration, without the need to reboot the server, so that the vhost is live directly at creation.

• The ability to edit an existing vhost configuration and have Wowza reload said configuration, without the need to reboot the vhost, so that the changes are applied at runtime.

• The ability to add a new vhost/application and automatically have Wowza reload its configuration, without the need to reboot the vhost, so that the vhost is live directly at creation.

• The ability to edit an existing vhost/application configuration and have Wowza reload said configuration, without the need to reboot the vhost, so that the changes are applied at runtime.

Additional Request:

• Add the ability to create new virtual hosts to the REST API.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Lee.

Hi Lee,

As you know we work constantly on enhancing and improving the product. Thank you for these suggestions. They are read by the people who ultimately decide on the direction of future development, so we really do appreciate constructive and well described suggestions such as this on how we can advance even further.

Paul

Hi Lee,

As you know we work constantly on enhancing and improving the product. Thank you for these suggestions. They are read by the people who ultimately decide on the direction of future development, so we really do appreciate constructive and well described suggestions such as this on how we can advance even further.

Paul

Hey Paul, thanks for the reply, I think the many years I spent formulating Alpha and Beta, QA analysis, report, suggestion e.t.c is paying off here when submitting suggestions haha xD, I look forward to hearing what the rest of the team think of the suggested ideas.

Cheers

Lee.