Wowza Community

Uploading a file from IOS to wows server ?

Hi,

I would like to know if it’s possible, today, to upload a file into a VOD folder of a wowza server ?

This file, then, could be streamed later.

What are my options ?

Thanks you very much !

Hi,

I think this is something that you’ll need to look into from an iOS coding perspective. The simplest approach may be to push the file to the Wowza server using HTTP (set DocumentRoot to your Wowza content dir etc). There are a number of options via PHP, Javascript etc. Or you could do this at a lower level via some Objective-C. Alternatively if all on the same network then sharing the content path via AFP, SMB or NFS and a simple copy should work?

Paul

Hi,

Yes if you can push your files to the Wowza content directory, the default of which is [wowza-install-path]/content (this can be set per Wowza application) then Wowza can stream that content, e.g. http://[wowza-ip]:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8 (as an HLS example).

I can’t provide specific documentation from the iOS side if this is where the files are originating from, but a simple option may be to have a web server running on the same server as Wowza and set its document root to be the same as the Wowza content path. I would suggest looking for HTML code examples that demonstrate uploading files as a starting point if you’re looking at implementing this via a web page within an iOS app. You would need to set the upload destination to the HTTP address of the Wowza/Web server. A simple (untested) example using a web form and POST, as found on stackoverflow:

<html>
  <body>
    <form action="/foo/bar.ext" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
        <input type="file" name="filename" />
        <input type="submit" value="Upload" />
    </form>
  </body>
</html>

HTH

Paul

Hey thank you for your response !

So basically I could just upload my movies via an HTTP method to the wowza server, could it be the same directory where my streamed videos are stored for VOD ?

Could you point me out in the documentation which method I need to call in order to upload my videos files ?

Thank you in advance !