Thread: Serving VOD from MediaCache

Default Serving VOD from MediaCache

I have a VOD application I am trying to back by mediacache. I have recently moved files off the filesystem onto a Web cache (Squid), backed by an HTTP CDN. As such, the VOD can no longer find files on the disk.

This is in Wowza 3.6.

All documentation I can find is unhelpful. Much of it discusses the Wowza 4.1 configuration engine, and shows how to point-and-click through a Web interface; however, I am editing the Application.xml file.

The documentation discusses a MediaCacheSourceList tag, but doesn't tell me anything useful about it. Two hours of Googling haven't helped, either.

Anyone know how to make a VOD use mediacache on 3.6?

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

Have you requested the MediaCache AddOn as per the MediaCache guide requirements?
    Note: Wowza Media ServerŪ 3.6.4 users can get the MediaCache AddOn by completing the AddOn Request form. After your license has been verified, within three business days, you'll receive an email with download instructions.
    The add on directory will include a MediaCache user guide that will walk you through the configuration process.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

Have you requested the MediaCache AddOn as per the MediaCache guide requirements?

The add on directory will include a MediaCache user guide that will walk you through the configuration process.

Kind regards,

Salvadore
    Yes. MediaCache is configured and functional; we have been using MediaCache for over five years. conf/MediaCache.xml is configured, and can serve cached files if the application 'mcache' is requested via RTMP.

I have a separate application 'vod' which is using files, instead of media cache. I have no idea how to set up Wowza 3.6 to do this:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....nf_application

This guide suggests I could modify conf/vod/Application.xml to use the 'mcache' MediaCache; however, it does not show how to configure Application.xml. It shows a point-and-click interface available in Wowza 4, which is not available in Wowza 3.6.

The original question:

Quote Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
    The documentation discusses a MediaCacheSourceList tag, but doesn't tell me anything useful about it. Two hours of Googling haven't helped, either.
    Referencing the Wowza Configuration Reference:

MediaCacheSourceList
    Specifies which of the Media Cache Sources that are configured on the system can be
    accessed by a VOD edge application. The wildcard (*) character means that all Media Cache
    sources configured on the system can be accessed by the application. Selected Media Cache
    sources can be specified as a comma-separated list. Media Cache Sources are HTTP-based
    servers and network-attached file systems that provide file-based content to the Media
    Cache system for re-streaming. For example, a VOD application running on an Amazon EC2
    instance could include amazons3 and/or dvrorigin Media Cache Sources.
    I wish to configure the VOD application to use a MediaCache source. A MediaCache source is already configured, but I only have instructions for configuring a VOD application to use files from a local disk. I have no instructions explaining how to configure a Wowza 3.6 VOD application to use a MediaCache source.