Wowza Community

Suggestion/Request: Warn for LAN IP when generating player config.

Hi every one,

This came up while I was helping another member on the forums, I thought it was important enough to warrent a Suggestion/Request thread.

The problem that could be improved upon is as follows:
When generating player configs/code examples, possibly other type of configs/code examples, the outputted IP Address in cases where Wowza is installed under a NAT/Firewalled Setup, will be a LAN Address.

For end users new to computer networking that do not know the differance or importance of using a External IP over a LAN IP, that it will prevent them from publishing their streams to clients over the internet, this will enevitably get confusing and very frustrating.

Currently there is no im place system to warning the end user that the config/code example has been generated with LAN IP.

This is in my beleive due to the lack of a system that analyses the IP Address that has been generated within the config/code example.

The reason this is a problem is as follows:
This will cause new and beginner users a lot of confusion and frustration even potentially drive customers away from using your product because they beleive it defective (thise that dont have the foresight to contact support or post for help on the boards) Additionally as mentioned a moment a go this will cause countless support tickets and forum help requests.

While it is not your job to teach theas users about networking, I do believe you have an obligation to the user to inform them there may be a probem using thier LAN Address when detected.

The solution:
To Visualy warn the user that that IP Address given in the example is a LAN Address and will only be able to be viewed to those Locally connected withing their network, Advise the end user to change the IP Address given in the player config to their External IP if they whish their Media Stream to be viewable across the internet.

Possibly perform an online check for their IP online and replace when a LAN ip is detected.

Primary Request/Suggestion:

• Upon player config generation analyse the PC’s detected IP Address.

• Check if it matches known LAN or Loopback Addresses e.g If address matches (192.160.. or 127.0.0.1 or localhost or any other Known local/LAN variant).

• Warn the user about using a LAN address if detected and inform them they need to swap the address shown in the config with their External IP Address.

Alternative Request/Suggestion:

• Add a new function in to the player code generator that performs an online check for the players external IP Address and uses that over the detected LAN Address.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Lee.

Hello Lee.

Thank you very much for putting these well thought out suggestions together and presenting them to the Wowza development team.

The suggestion forum is actively monitored and your suggestions will be seen and taken into consideration I am sure.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hello Lee.

Thank you very much for putting these well thought out suggestions together and presenting them to the Wowza development team.

The suggestion forum is actively monitored and your suggestions will be seen and taken into consideration I am sure.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hey Salvadore, thank you that is most kind of you to say xD!

I had figured this board would be activly monitored but know how buisy Dev’s can get I wasent expecting to mutch in the way of replies, Awesome when you get to interact with the dev steam, but i know how buisy most of thease guys will be so no biggie if the suggestion goes unanswered as i know it will be seen and faily evaluated.

I acctually do a similar line of work for my company, im the "tech/dev/QA guy and youll often find me knee deep in some kind of application/game code or trying to develop new ways of doing things quite often xD

Cheers again

Kind Regards,

Lee