Wowza Community

How to merge video with subtitle in realtime play

I am very new with Wowza and want to ask is it posible if i can config Wowza(or some plugins) to merge source video and subtitle to stream direct to users(instead of using separate sub file)?

I am asking that because i am planning to use Wowza to provide users thousands of VOD film for feature phone(which does not support subtitle in separate file)

and each film, i have multiple languages. so the solution is merging video+sub for all videos in all supported languages seem not a good solution(take time to merge, take a lot of storage cause we must have separate video file for each language)

Or give me any better solution for this

Greate thanks

Hi,

Wowza Media Server includes support for closed captioning for video on demand (VOD) streams. It can ingest caption data from a variety of instream and file-based sources and convert it to the appropriate caption format for on-demand video streaming using the Apple HTTP Live Streaming (Apple HLS), Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (Adobe HDS), and RTMP protocols.

Please take a look at the How to configure closed captioning for video on demand streaming forum article for more information.

Zoran

so you want some kind of realtime encoding of video.

if implemented, it will consume tons of CPU… for each viewer of your tons of videos.

sorry if i misunderstood your request :slight_smile:

Hi,

The vod solutions that we have do actually embed the captions in the video as CEA-608 or as OnTextData tracks.

I don’t think any of those will work with a feature phone though. Do you what type of captions they need to be?

Daren

Thanks Zoran for your support.

But i tried this already. It worked when using jwplayer or html5. but it still not ok on feature phone, which does not have HTML5 supported(which use subtitle file in separate request).

What i trying to do is try to mix video + sub => single vod stream content, so it can be play on any client. It same like we use Subsitler Merger tool to mix video+sub to a single video file, so the subtitle will be part of the video. But we dont want to do that cause we have alot of videos and each have some different subtites

Hi,

Wowza Media Server includes support for closed captioning for video on demand (VOD) streams. It can ingest caption data from a variety of instream and file-based sources and convert it to the appropriate caption format for on-demand video streaming using the Apple HTTP Live Streaming (Apple HLS), Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (Adobe HDS), and RTMP protocols.

Please take a look at the How to configure closed captioning for video on demand streaming forum article for more information.

Zoran

i have subtitle files in srt format.

My current solution is using an video+substitle merger applicaition to make a vod video -> in each language, i must have 1 vod video file.

I guess we can write a plugin to merge in realtime, do you know any idea of that ?