Wowza Community

Streaming Flv file with Wowza while flv is being recorded

Hello,

Streaming a flv file with wowza while the flv is recording (by wowza himself) is working but, on the flash player we can’t move forward or backward using the time bar because it is disabled.

When we stream the file after recording is terminated, all is working fine.

It seems that Wowza works differently (with RTMP protocol) when flv is not completed.

Do you know a way to make the JW Player Time Bar enabled when flv recording is not finished yet ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Hello there.

It sounds like you are asking about nDRV functionality?

A live stream will not let you pause, rewind or move forward after rewinding or pausing. These features are available with video on demand. Which it sounds like you have discovered.

If you want to pause and rewind a live stream you will need to utilize the nDVR AddOn:

How to set up and run Wowza nDVR for live streaming

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hello there.

It sounds like you are asking about nDRV functionality?

A live stream will not let you pause, rewind or move forward after rewinding or pausing. These features are available with video on demand. Which it sounds like you have discovered.

If you want to pause and rewind a live stream you will need to utilize the nDVR AddOn:

How to set up and run Wowza nDVR for live streaming

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

We can’t use the nDVR functionnality AddOn for our solution, this is why we use the Standard File Recording.

I don’t understand why, the time bar is not available when we stream a flv file which is recording. Because it works well when recording is terminated.

And it is the same, the only difference is that the size of the file is constantly increasing. It seams that wowza doesn’t send new size of the file to flash player periodically.

Nicolas

Nicolas, I did not think it was possible to play a stream with a VOD application that is in the process of being recorded. I guess this sort of works with .flv.

I tested what you describe with FMLE recording a .flv file and playing the VOD file will it was recorded to. I will say it seemed to work, I was able to view the stream in the RTMP VOD player that ships with Wowza. I did have pause and rewind control but the playback was very unstable and it crashed after a while.

This is not the recommended or supported way to do this. The fact that it seems to sort of work is more by chance then by design. This is very unstable and there is no guarantee that it will work in all scenarios. The scrub bar will only be available for recordings that are complete.

The only suggestion I can make would be to utilize the nDVR AddOn.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Ok, Thank you for your time !

Nicolas

Nicolas, I did not think it was possible to play a stream with a VOD application that is in the process of being recorded. I guess this sort of works with .flv.

I tested what you describe with FMLE recording a .flv file and playing the VOD file will it was recorded to. I will say it seemed to work, I was able to view the stream in the RTMP VOD player that ships with Wowza. I did have pause and rewind control but the playback was very unstable and it crashed after a while.

This is not the recommended or supported way to do this. The fact that it seems to sort of work is more by chance then by design. This is very unstable and there is no guarantee that it will work in all scenarios. The scrub bar will only be available for recordings that are complete.

The only suggestion I can make would be to utilize the nDVR AddOn.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

You are welcome Nicolas.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with in the future.

Kind regards,

Salvadore