Wowza Community

Custom Encoder RTSP? Documentation?

I have an RTSP stream that I need to send to WOWZA but I’m not using one of the included encoder types. How do I communicate with the server? Can I send it an RTSP stream on port 1935 from my application? If so, how do I authenticate with the server (pass Publisher credentials)? Can I use RTMP?

Is there any documentation that outlines how to create a custom encoder or how to communicate with the server from a custom application?

Hi,

Wowza can pull an RTSP stream if it is properly formed. This article covers the basics. If your encoder can create an RTMP stream then you can publish that stream to an app within Wowza. Common things to check are whether the stream needs to authenticate or passes a valid Flash version string etc. Check out this article for more details about publishing to Wowza, which covers generic encoders as well as the well known ones.

Paul

Hi,

yes you will need to communicate with Wowza by following the specified protocol. So for RTSP, this is defined within this RFI.

Paul

Paul, thanks so much for the reply. I guess what I’m looking for are the specifics on publishing to WOWZA from a custom encoder. How do I transmit the stream name, publisher credentials, etc, to WOWZA? Should credentials be packaged into the Header fields of the RTSP stream or is there another method?

From the documentation linked above:

Publishing the stream

In your encoder, enter the following information, and then click Publish or Start:

Server URL: rtsp://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/live

Stream Name: myStream

User: publisherName

password: [password]