Wowza Community

Help! RAM usage crippling the system and requiring reboot twice a day!

Over the last 3-4 days i have noticed Java using all available RAM, to the point of the system crashing. A system reboot fixes it. I have watched the RAM from a reboot and it starts off very low and escalates quickly.

I get this error just before loss of video: Unexpected exception.: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space|

I set the Heap size to 4Gb which is between development and production. It appears that the Wowza server completely ignores this heap size and allocates all RAM to it anyway. I have seen from the usage graph that after about an hour after reboot the heap and the memory are both clipping on the red line.

The system is a 64-bit Win7 machine, with an i7 3.5Ghz processor and 8Gb of RAM. There are 6 incoming UDP streams of 1.8Mb per stream. Wowza software is 4.0.6.

It is worth noting that we have a nearly identical system that is running the same script, same parameters, same load, but on an i3/4GB RAM machine (Wowza 4.1.0) and it barely breaks a sweat.

There is something not right here. Could we be getting garbage video from the encoder in such a volume that the GC cant get rid of it? would there be other symptoms?

Hi,

Please create a ticket by sending an email to support@wowza.com.

When creating a ticket please include a ZIP file containing the following directories:

[Wowza-Install]/conf/

[Wowza-Install]/logs/

[Wowza-Install]/transcoder/

[Wowza-Install]/manager/logs/

Please make sure you provide logs which show Wowza server starting.

If you are not sure how to get this information please see the following tutorial.

How to create a compressed zip file in Windows, OS X, and Linux

• If you have a live stream please outline the type of encoder in use along with the encoding settings for the stream.

• If you are using a .stream file to start re-streaming please provide this.

• If you have a on demand stream you may be asked to provide access to the content you are using for further testing. At this stage it is not required.

• If you are using multiple bitrates (ABR) then please provide the SMIL file associated with your configuration.

You can also configure Wowza to create a heap-dump when Wowza prints the OutOfMemoryError to the logs.

To do this edit the [Wowza-Install]/conf/Tune.xml file changing the following line.

From this:

To this:

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath="${com.wowza.wms.AppHome}/logs"

After editing and saving this file, a restart of Wowza is required for the changes to take effect.

Screenshots of the memory usage in WSEM will also be helpful.

Regards,

Jason

What was the resolution to this issue?

Also was the PushPublish module being used in this instance?

Thanks

Also interested in the resolution. Going through same thing, and have a ticket raised.

Hi

The problem reported in the ticket above turned out to be an issue with a module that shouldn’t have been in put in place.

Additionally, custom modules can also be the cause of out of memory problems. Check to see what modules are in place, and test without them in place to prove

whether or not there is an issue in the base case.

Daren

Hi,

This will now be handled in the ticket you created (116137).

Regards,

Jason

thanks Jason, already done.

What was the resolution to this issue?

Also was the PushPublish module being used in this instance?

Thanks