Wowza Community

Transcoding NellyMoser to AAC

Hello,

I am streaming live music performances from the web using Flash ActionScript to Wowza 4. Downstream, we are using both RTMP and HLS streams. Since we are streaming music we are using the NellyMoser codec because Speex does not provide us with the same audio quality. The HLS stream requires the audio to be encoded as AAC in order for it to work. Unfortunately NellyMoser cannot be transcoded to AAC using the Wowza Transcoder addon because NellyMoser is proprietary.

Is there some way that we can pay a license fee to transcode NellyMoser to AAC using the transcoder? Or does anyone have any other solution for this problem. The requirements are:

• streaming from the web using flash

• audio and video available on all devices downstream

• high quality audio w/ minimal compression for live music

Thank you!

Hello Jonathan, welcome to the Wowza support forum.

I had a quick search of Google for transcoding NellyMoser to AAC via FFmpeg. I found plenty of discussion and a few claims that it was successful. Although I have not tested it. Might be something to look into. Another option to research would be VLC.

The Wowza Transcoder supports Speex as an input source to be transcoded to AAC. If you choose to test this or go this route, you can follow this guide to convert your stream to the supported codec for the Transcoder:

How to convert Flash Player 11 output from H.264 + Speex audio to H.264 + AAC audio using Wowza Transcoder AddOn

kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

Have you already tried transcoding the Speex audio to AAC using the transcoder within Wowza Streaming Engine?

Regards,

Jason

No, you would use FFmpeg as the transcoder. I do not think you would need the Wowza Transcoder in this workflow. This is not documented anywhere and I am not exactly sure of the workflow.

This guide is helpful, but does not address your particular needs:

Frequently requested FFMPEG command examples for Wowza

You may find someone you can hire to help get this setup in the find a consultant forum

Kind regards,

Salvadore

I had a quick search of Google for transcoding NellyMoser to AAC via FFmpeg. I found plenty of discussion and a few claims that it was successful. Although I have not tested it. Might be something to look into. Another option to research would be VLC.

Thanks Sal. Are you saying that I can use FFmpeg with the transcoder add on to transcode nelly moser to AAC for a live stream? Can you link to some of these discussions?

The Wowza Transcoder supports Speex as an input source to be transcoded to AAC. If you choose to test this or go this route, you can follow this guide to convert your stream to the supported codec for the Transcoder:

Yea, we have that working but the quality for Speex doesn’t meet our requirements.

Speex codec is not suitable for high quality audio minimal compression for live music,

so streaming using Speex as audio codec will work, but the quality of audio with Speex won’t meet application’s requirements,

when it is focusing on high quality music… so it is better to convert Nellymoser to aac by ffmpeg or anything else… :slight_smile: