Wowza Community

Bonding several connections

We are streaming video from locations with unreliable internet. How to stream over several 3G+Ethernet?

How does it called?

I found Teradek Bond II can do it. But it costs $4k.

Would prefere something cheaper. Can be don in Azure VM?

thanks

If you are asking whether you can host an instance of Wowza Streaming Engine on an Azure VM, then the following tutorials might help you:

For Windows on Azure

For Linux on Azure

By bonding, you might be referring to aggregating network connections (also called cellular multiplexing), which was reviewed in this page, but the other options seem to be more expensive than Teradek.

Michelle

Hello there.

According to this post, which is as recent as I could find. Combining multiple streams into a single stream with Wowza is:

a workflow that we are aware of and are looking into how we can support it in future versions of Wowza Server.

-Lisa

I am not aware of this feature being supported at this time.

You might however look into VLC mosaic for a workaround.

Alternatively, you could post a request to the find a consultant forum and see if any of the developers there have a module or workflow you could purchase. Or, if anyone could develop a module, or help you get this working.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi Bit111

Thank you for contacting us via our Support Folrum. We do attempt to provide as accurate a response as we can, but occasionally we find hardware/software combinations that are less common and we can not quickly give you a definitive answer, particularly if the question is a bit ambiguous.

From my understanding, the Teradek Bond is a modular system that can combine a number of different transmission protocols, such as WiFI, 3G, 4G (LTE) etc into a specially formulated protocol that contains packets that are specific to the device and the target receiver. This receiever runs software called Sputnik which recombines the packets from the various sources which can then be sent to an H.264 encoder. Sputnik is a key component when using Bond, BOND II or Bond Pro.

It appears that Sputnik is available on Teradek’s own Turnkey hardware which includes the Encoder. It may be that the software can be installed on other servers but this is not clear to me from their literature, and regardless it will need an encoder to convert the disparate streams into an H.264 stream that you could then for example re-stream to Wowza.

Your initial question was “Can this be done with Azure VM”. This is ambiguous as it’s not clear if you are asking if the ability to stream from a Teradek Bond to Azure VM can be done, or whether you can use another source with similar capabilities as the Teradek BOND + Sputnik Encoder to then stream to Azure VM.

Livestream Studio no doubt can process H.264 files, but your main concern is being able to transmit from disparate unreliable devices and have them received and re-packetized into a valid H.264 stream. I don’t think this is possible at all without hardware as described above, and such technology is not cheap.

Regards,

Paul

Teradek is probably the best option for you if you are concerned about cost. They are also part of the Works With Wowza partner program. Please note that you would still need additional hardware/software in order to manage the network aggregation and routing. In this thread, they discuss using Sputnik for this function.

Michelle

You would need to publish an RTMP stream to your Wowza Streaming Engine server.

From their website, they have an article on how to configure their software to generate this RTMP url.

Michelle

How can I do bonding with paid Livestream Studio and wowza?

Not sure if Aggregating is the same thing, I want uninterrupted stream even if half of the lings go down. Like Teradek Bond is promising.

I actually asked about the use Livestream Studio. They use bonding and work with wowza, and the price is only $800

So how do I do it?

Hi Michelle

you apparently haven’t read my question - I am asking about bonded connection to wowza

And if you don’t know, just say I don’t know, no need to give me more useless links, I have them myself.

If I split the RTMP stream with Livestream Studio and multiple modems how can wowza receive these multiple steams.

And please i don’t need guesses anymore, enough, I need somebody who have done it or knows how to do

want to add - we are your old client and i can give client id