Wowza Community

Starting server but status is still stopped

Hi there, I am new and just installed wowza media server on my VPS, but can not access control panel nor :1935 port. I am trying to start server, it starts, but status is still stopped

[root@~]# service WowzaMediaServer start

WowzaMediaServer is already running (4042): stopping

WowzaMediaServer: starting [ OK ]

[root@~]# service WowzaMediaServer status

WowzaMediaServer stopped

can you help me?

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

First step would be to ensure Wowza is not currently running. Running netstat -an |grep LIST | grep 1935 should not show anything LISTENING if Wowza is already stopped.

If this command comes up clean (no listener showing) then you will want to start Wowza in stand-alone mode.

To do so cd into [install-path]/bin/ and run startup.sh This will display the server output to the console and will aid in troubleshooting.

If you see that Wowza is currently running, you can run this command prior to the startup.sh

[install-path]/bin/shutdown.sh

Please let us know if shutting down and restarting Wowza fixes this issue. Or, what errors the console is showing when running in stand-alone mode.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

How did you remove your previous Wowza Streaming Engine installation?

Prior to re-installing the Wowza software, please remove it by using the RPM utility.

In order to properly remove the Wowza installation, please run this command on your server:

rpm -e WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.1-ga.noarch

Zoran

Hello.

Please follow the user guide steps starting on page 26, for uninstalling Wowza from your particular OS:

Wowza User Guide

Then be sure to download the correct installer for your OS and try installing again.

If you still have no luck, open a ticket with support and they should be able to get this working. Email support@wowza.com to open a ticket.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

I tried to uninstall and then reinstall wowza, it says wowza already installed, but in my FTP there is no folder (was until I uninstalled it)

Installing Wowza Streaming Engine

Preparing… ########################################### [100%]

package WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.1-ga.noarch is already installed

./WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.1.rpm.bin: line 1352: /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/conf/admin.password: No such file or directory

./WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.1.rpm.bin: line 1353: /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/conf/admin.password: No such file or directory

./WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.1.rpm.bin: line 1355: /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/conf/admin.password: No such file or directory

./WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.1.rpm.bin: line 1361: /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/conf/Server.license: No such file or directory

Start Wowza Streaming Engine automatically when this system reboots? [yes or no]

yes

error reading information on service WowzaStreamingEngine: No such file or directory

error reading information on service WowzaStreamingEngine: No such file or directory

error reading information on service WowzaStreamingEngineManager: No such file or directory

error reading information on service WowzaStreamingEngineManager: No such file or directory

Starting WowzaStreamingEngine (via systemctl):

WowzaStreamingEngine: unrecognized service

Starting WowzaStreamingEngine (via systemctl):

WowzaStreamingEngineManager: unrecognized service

Install Location:

/usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine

of course I removed it with that command

[root@ ~]# rpm -e WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.1-ga.noarch

WowzaStreamingEngine: unrecognized service

WowzaStreamingEngineManager: unrecognized service

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.TBhmeI: line 3: /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/bin/shutdown.sh: No such file or directory

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.TBhmeI: line 4: /usr/local/WowzaStreamingEngine/manager/bin/shutdownmgr.sh: No such file or directory

error reading information on service WowzaStreamingEngine: No such file or or directory