Thread: Compatibility issue between Wirecast 6 and Wowza 3.5.2?

Default Compatibility issue between Wirecast 6 and Wowza 3.5.2?

Good day. I understand that Wowza is a partner with Telestream, the manufacturer of Wirecast. As such, I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with a possible compatibility issue between Wirecast 6 and our version of Wowza (Wowza Media Server 3 Perpetual Edition 3.5.2 build3747.) I've already exhausted the expertise of Telestream, so they referred me to you.

I'm trying to upgrade to Wirecast 6 from Wirecast 5.0.2. However, when I try to stream to our URL from WC 6, I get an error saying "Cannot connect to the RTMP/Flash server at the given IP address." It can't actually be an address problem, because everything works normally when I revert back to WC 5, even if I stream from the same WC project with precisely the same settings. The only thing that changes between the two scenarios is the version of WC.

Again - the technicians at Telestream don't have a solution at the moment, but suggested the compatibility issue between WC 6 and Wowza 3.5.2, and said I should pose the question here. I appreciate any wisdom that anyone can share.

I'm streaming on a Verizon FIOS connection from a 2011 MacPro. Additional details/specs can be provided upon request.

Hi mbochart, and welcome to the Wowza Forum!

I tested out a Wowza Media Server 3.5.2 installation with Wirecast 6.0.1, using just the example live application, and was able to ingest and playback the RTSP stream from Wirecast without any issues (although this was on a Windows box). I'll test this on an OSX environment too, if you can give me the OSX version that you're using?

As a troubleshooting tool, you can also start up WMS in stand-alone mode: /bin/startup.bat (or startup.sh). Once you have started in standalone mode, please send your streams again. You should be able to see log output in the console immediately. Please post any errors you see in this thread (removing any private information).

Also, since you are on an older version of Wowza, I would be moving this thread to the correct sub-forum.

Michelle

Hi Michelle. Thank you so much for your quick reply, and your generous assistance with testing this out. The Mac that we use for streaming is OS 10.10.2.

I'm afraid my expertise is in videography, not code, thus the following is probably a dumb question: is there a difference for purposes of this conversation between an RTMP stream and an RTSP stream? You said you were able to ingest an RTSP stream without issue, but with Wirecast I've been streaming via RTMP. Thank you.

Hi mbochart,

I do apologize, I meant RTMP instead of RTSP. Wowza can ingest and playback RTSP. They are both streaming protocols, RTMP is from Adobe/Macromedia, while RTSP was developed by a different group (RealNetworks).

I have tested Wireshark 6 and Wowza Media Server 3 on OSX Yosemite (10.10), and I was able to stream correctly using the default live application. Please make sure that your output settings in Wirecast is set to Wowza Media Server, and that you are playing back the correct stream name.

If you still have issues streaming from Wirecast, please include a screenshot of your output settings in Wirecast and include error messages you see in the console while starting up Wowza Media Server.

Michelle

Hi Michelle. Thank you for the reply. My problem can't pertain to the stream name being entered incorrectly, because I'm using the same Wirecast project for my WC 6 tests that I typically use for WC 5 webcasts. In other words, I can stream without issue on WC 5, and then, on the very same project, upgrade to WC 6 and suddenly encounter the streaming error.

You asked that I include a screenshot. I have screenshots ready. How do I add images to my post here? I don't see an option to do so.

Hi mbochart,

It might be best to continue this via a ticket, since we may require additional information specific to your implementation. Please send an email to support@wowza.com from the email address account that is registered with your Wowza software. This would be the same email account that received your license key. Please include the screenshots, and a link to this thread.

Michelle

For Wirecast 6, there is an Output Settings preset for Wowza Streaming Engine. From Wirecast 6, select Output > Output Settings > Add. Select Wowza Streaming Engine as your Output Destination, and confirm that the IP address and credentials are configured correctly.

Michelle