Wowza Community

Sending 720p H.265 encoded stream.

Hello there

Is it possible to send a 720p H.265 encoded stream with the default wowza settings?

The plan is to have a large High quality image streaming in at low(er) bandwidth then H.264 and then have wowza do all the conversions for any player that requests it, even players that are not H.265 compliant.

Is this possible without touching the H,265 transcoder? or does this need to be set up in order to do this?

and if so will any player receive the stream in their native format, or do more settings need to be applied.

Thank you kindly.

Hello,

The HEVC/H.265 video format hasn’t been widely adopted yet by encoding technologies or player vendors. Wowza Streaming Engine 4.1, however, introduces preview support for the HEVC/H.265 format. DivX makes one of the few players that supports H.265 video. This article explains how to configure Wowza Streaming Engine 4.1 to transcode a live video stream to H.265 for MPEG-DASH playback in the DivX Web Player.

Regards,

Mac

I do appreciate your response but that does not really answer my questions.

I have already applied the settings mentioned in the article you linked and this is where I got confused.

Please allow me to rather ask more specific questions.

1. If i am sending and h.265 encoded stream with the hopes to play it on H.265 play (DivX) do I still need the H.265 transcoder enabled?

2. If I do need it enabled, should I set the Codec as “PassThru” or “Disabled” ? are there any other settings I need to change if I am already encoding it?

3. I have managed to stream successfully to DivX player with the default settings. However if I use another H.265 player like the ffmpeg (ffplay) player. It does not accept the stream because it says that the codec is missing the Pixel Format. This does not happen if I pull the stream from a local UDP server… my guess is that Wowza somehow does not include the pixel format. Is it possible to include this in the transcoder settings?

4. Is it possible to send an H.265 stream to wowza and then have all the other transcodings happen for “legacy” players that only accept H.264? So 1 stream in, and all possible streams out including hevec.

Thank you very much.

1. Is it possible to send an H.265 stream to wowza and then have all the other transcodings happen for “legacy” players that only accept H.264? So 1 stream in, and all possible streams out including hevec.

I’d love to do this as well. Not everyone has Fiber and we’d like to use H265 to stream higher quality video at a lower bitrate.

Using bmdtools and avconv on Mac OS X El Capitan I can send an H265 rtmp matroska stream to Wowza - but I’m not sure if Wowza has the features to decode it.