Wowza Community

Storage Directory on NAS

We are in the process of migrating from Wowza Media Server to Wowza Streaming Server. All our VOD content is on a NAS server. How do I configure the storage directory for an external share in the application configuration? In the old version we could configure it in the .xml file with something like “\myshare\content”, but in the Streaming server manager it says that i can’t use backslash.

By the way it’s running in a Windows environment.

I’ve done some intensive searching of this, without any useful results - maybe I’m searching the wrong keywords.

I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

You will need to use Media Cache to access content from a remote storage location:

How to scale video on demand streaming with Media Cache

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Also, you can still edit the Application.xml files in notepad for example. So if you were able to access the storage previously you should be able to access it in the same fashion with the new release of Wowza Streaming Engine.

Regards,

Salvadore

You’re very welcome. Glad I could help and that you got this working.

Please let us know if you need help down the line.

Regards,

Salvadore

Thanks for the quick reply. As you confirmed that this was still possible I realised that I made a stupid mistake - I didn’t have permission to access the NAS from the new Wowza server. Tested with a test share and everything worked like a charm! Well that aside I think it’s a bit confusing/misleading that the helpfile in the server manager says I can’t use backslash and replaces it with I forward slash if I try anyways, but I’m still able to do it manually through the configuration file. Though I will look more into the Media Cache feature as I suspect it will add to performance compared to streaming files directly from the NAS.

Thanks again Salvadore!