Wowza Community

Skipping streams for transcoding

Hi.

I’m kind of new to Wowza and has not yet understood all the advanced features. I have a live streaming application receiving five 1080p streams from network devices. These streams are all transcoded to 160p, 360p and 720p. This works fine.

Now I’m running into capacity problems, and since one of the network cameras support multiple streams out of the box, I have configured the camera to match the streams. With the current setup, however, the transcoder grabs the 1080p stream from the camera and transcodes it, and that is no longer necessary.

Is there a way to make the transcoder not process a particular stream? The current setup feeds all input streams into the transcoder.

Best regards,

Discobald

Hello there and welcome to the Wowza support forum.

Please take a look at this module:

How to control which streams get transcoded (ModuleTranscoderControl)

You can also use the ILiveStreamTranscoderControl interface to achieve the same results:

How to control which streams get transcoded using server-side API

Kind regards,

Salvadore

I’m using the appInstance.setLiveStreamTranscoderControl (ILiveStreamTranscoderControl) and when testing with GoCoder, I see that stream.getPublishAudioCodecId() returns -1, probably because it’s too early for the stream to return the codec info. But I want only to start transcoding if the audio codec != AAC

How can I achieve that?

You’re very welcome, glad I could be of assistance. Please let us know if you need any help down the road.

Regards,

Salvadore

Thanks a lot, Salvadore! I’ve had a few days vacation, but will try this out in a few days. Seems to be spot on.