Wowza Community

What happen on the origin servers and edge servers?

Hi there,

I have one question about the Wowza origin-edge servers. The encoder only sends rtmp stream to the origin server. But the edge servers can output various stream formats like HLS HDS DASH. So where does the transcoding and packetizing happen?

My assumption is that the origin server generates all the playlists and segments for different formats. When a client sends a request to the edge server, the edge server forwards this request to the origin server and retrieves what the client wants. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If my assumption is right, where does the origin server stores those playlists and segments? I tried looking for them but cannot see anything in the “/wowza install…/content” folder.

Thanks!

Yorick

Hello Yorick,

With the origin-edge configuration, packetization is done on the origin and the edge requests the packetized stream depending on the client type connecting to the edge. The streams being packetized are stored in memory and can be adjusted by the packetization articles for each client type:

How to configure Adobe HDS packetization (sanjosestreaming)

How to configure Apple HLS packetization (cupertinostreaming)

How to configure Microsoft Smooth Streaming packetization (smoothstreaming)

How to configure MPEG-DASH packetization (mpegdashstreaming)

Note: When using a Live Edge, the edge will connect multiple times for the same stream as it requires a connection for each client type and doesn’t do the packetizing itself (so makes a connection for Apple HLS and another for Flash HDS and so on even though they are the same stream).

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Salvadore