Wowza Community

Wowza RTMP live streaming with CDN

I’m using RTMP player to watch live streaming video. My clients using Open Broadcasting Software(OBS) with RTMP link to broadcast their video and connect to my website RTMP player. I want to use CloudFront CDN for this. So I’m configured with Amazon Wowza and start working on it.

According to this, Wowza version 4.0 has cloudfront package and configured as HTTP origin. Does it support RTMP ? The example shows RTMP address.

Hello,

A CloudFront distribution can deliver streaming content by using the following HTTP-based dynamic streaming protocols:

Hello,

A CloudFront distribution can deliver streaming content by using the following HTTP-based dynamic streaming protocols:

• Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (Adobe HDS)

• Apple HTTP Live Streaming (Apple HLS)

• Microsoft Smooth Streaming

• MPEG-DASH

To support non-HTTP-based streaming protocols (for example, RTMP and RTSP streaming), you can set up your Wowza origin server to deliver content through the CloudFront distribution AND through a standard Wowza edge server network.

Regards,

Mac

But isn’t the problem with Cloudfront non-HTTP-based streaming support is that it only works for VOD (s3 bucket) and not live? It doesn’t seem possible to live stream RTMP over Cloudfront.

Hello,

But isn’t the problem with Cloudfront non-HTTP-based streaming support is that it only works for VOD (s3 bucket) and not live? It doesn’t seem possible to live stream RTMP over Cloudfront.

I believe this is what Mac is saying. Cloudfront is designed to distribute HTTP VOD/Live Stream traffic and RTMP VOD. For Live Streaming RTMP you may want to look at other CDN services such as Akamai. You should be able to use both services together if you’d like to use CloudFront for your HTTP traffic and Akamai for your RTMP Live Streams. We do have an article that describes how to use the Stream Targets/Push Publishing feature to stream RTMP into the Akamai CDN network. This Stream Target could be configured on the HTTP Application to feed the Akamai users. Please see the article below:

How to use RTMP to distribute live streams

Best regards,

Andrew