Wowza Community

Problems with Cloud options

Hello,

why is it not possible to change transcoder settings of previously created livestreams?

I don’t like the preconfigured output settings like h.264 high profile for 1280x720 and want to change it to main profile for better legacy mobilephone and tablet compatibility.

Everytime I try to change settings of an Output in Transcoder menue I get the error message “At least one target is required” when I try to save my settings. But I don’t want to send the stream anywhere else than the Wowza Streaming Cloud.

In addtition I tested playback on different devices. On a Google Nexus with Android 5.0.1 I can only hear Audio and no Video is displayed. Just the defined background image and some info like “there’s no livestream available” or something like this. No problems on iPhone or Flash players. I also tested Android on this nexus with the jwplayer hls testing page (sorry, I don’t have the link right now) and had no problems.

I also notcied problems with pulling a rtmp stream from a source. At the beginning it didn’t work, but the reason might have been that the player takes some time to refresh with new settings?

What does the Wowza Player delivers? Only HLS?

Regards

Andreas

Update:

Ok, so it looks like that I cannot change any transcoder parameters due to restrictions in tiral account. I only can set a external rmtp target but can not change any of the other parameters of transcoder, especially bitrates and profiles. Mhh, so I cannot test this feature… :frowning:

Video playback on Android with Google Nexus was no more a problem after streaming with 854x480 max. resolution. Transcoder then used h.264 main profile and not high (again, it would be great to modify this options in trial account). Maybe Android doesn’t support high profile?

I also never had anymore problem with pushing or pulling streams in my tests.

I have now purchased the product and can now also change the bitrates and h.264 profiles. Works really good so far.

What is the reason that this features are not available in trial version?

Thank you Michelle,

but to must add a target URL means it’s very limittig and it’s not possible to simply change bitrate renditions from streams which should be served by Streaming Cloud only.

So I was not able to simply test a core feature of Streaming Cloud, it’s possibilty to change h.264 profiles, birates, and so on, without sending this changed renditions out to another target?!? Why this? Why I cannot watch it over streaming cloud with the build in player and why I have to send anywhere else?

Hello Mac,

sorry, I think my english is not so good to explain exactly what problems I had with this.

Have you tried to modify transcoder settings with a trial account? Please try it!

With subscription I automatically have the correct target stream in dropdown menue when I modify bitrates. But I hadn’t this in trial. I had to define a RTMP stream target because there weren’t other optoins in dropdown menue.

I wanted to share this because I no longer have this problem so current.

Regards,

Andreas.

Hi,

In regard to your question,

So I was not able to simply test a core feature of Streaming Cloud, it’s possibility to change h.264 profiles, bitrates, and so on, without sending this changed renditions out to another target?

You do not have to create a new target. In the drop down list, you can assign an existing target or copy an existing target that you’ve already used/created. The reason you saw the “Target Required” message is because each transcoder must have at least one output, and each output must have at least one target. For more in depth information on “Configuring advanced transcoding workflows”, download the Wowza Cloud User’s Guide and start on page 25.

Why I cannot watch it over streaming cloud with the build in player and why I have to send anywhere else?

You can select an existing target and playback in the Wowza Cloud Player or the hosted web page. Again, this is referred to in the Wowza Cloud User’s Guide.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mac

Hi FAndreas,

Ok, so it looks like that I cannot change any transcoder parameters due to restrictions in tiral account. I only can set a external rmtp target but can not change any of the other parameters of transcoder, especially bitrates and profiles. Mhh, so I cannot test this feature…

The encode renditions are automatically created by Wowza Streaming Cloud when you first create a stream. You can change the parameters for these encodes, however, even under a Trial account (by going into the Advanced menu). You do need to manually set a target URL for each encode if you are editing the Transcoder setting. You are merely limited from adding Wowza Streaming Cloud-provisioned targets in a trial subscription. You can set up another media server or any CDN service that accepts RTMP service as your target destination.

What does the Wowza Player delivers? Only HLS?

Wowza Streaming Cloud delivers both HLS and HDS streams.

Michelle

Hi FAndreas,

but to must add a target URL means it’s very limittig and it’s not possible to simply change bitrate renditions from streams which should be served by Streaming Cloud only.

So I was not able to simply test a core feature of Streaming Cloud, it’s possibilty to change h.264 profiles, birates, and so on, without sending this changed renditions out to another target?!? Why this? Why I cannot watch it over streaming cloud with the build in player and why I have to send anywhere else?

We would definitely bring your feedback to the attention of our Product Management team. We appreciate your reviews, and would continue to incorporate our user’s feedback into our software service development lifecycle.

Michelle