Wowza Community

question

hi im new here and i have a question

is possible with the software wowza

to transcode rtmp to hls?

Hello,

Welcome to the Wowza Support Forums!

To be clear, Wowza Streaming Engine and Wowza Streaming Cloud can transcode a rtmp stream to a hls protocol. I am providing you with a couple of articles to give you more information about this.

Wowza Streaming Engine Specifications

How to set up live streaming using an RTMP-based encoder

Thanks again for participating in the Wowza Support Forums.

Regards,

Mac

Hi,

No, the edge server will have to be configured to use the “Origin URL” which will be the IP address of the Origin server and application name.

For example: wowz://[Origin-IP]:1935/OriginApp

The Origin will have a stream published to it from and encoder or it will pull the live source from a IP camera or other location.

Please see the article on How to configure a live stream repeater for more details on Origin/Edge setup.

Regards,

Jason

Hello,

Yes, you should be able to do it via PuTTY.

An upgrade from a Wowza 3 to a Wowza 4 server requires a full installation of the Wowza Streaming Engine Software.

Basically what you need to do is to remove the old Wowza installation. Make sure you backup all your Wowza files (located in /usr/local/WowzaMediaServer/) prior to removing the old installation.

First, you will need to check which RPM is installed on your machine, by running the following Linux command:

rpm -qa Wowza*

This will return the Wowza package name that is installed on your server. It should be something like this: WowzaMediaServer-3.x.x-ga.noarch

To remove this package, you will need to run this command:

rpm -e [package name]

You will need to go the the Wowza downloads page and get the download URL for the Linux RPM package. Currently, the available download link is the following:

http://www.wowza.com/downloads/WowzaStreamingEngine-4-1-2/WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.rpm.bin

In your PuTTY console, in order to download this package, you can use the wget command, like this:

wget http://www.wowza.com/downloads/WowzaStreamingEngine-4-1-2/WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.rpm.bin

This will download the installer package on your remote server. After the download is completed, you will need to add executable privileges to the .bin file by using this command:

chmod +x WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.rpm.bin

Now, to start the installation, just run this command and follow the instructions from the installer console:

./WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.rpm.bin

Let us know if you get into troubles installing the new Wowza Streaming Engine.

Here are some useful Wowza Streaming Engine Quick Start guides and Tutorials that will help you get started using Wowza 4.

Zoran

Carlos, please try to refrain from posting the same question multiple times. Here is your other post with a response.

Thank you,

Salvadore

Hi CarlosC,

We do recommend when running a load-balanced system that you have all servers on the same version. Please do make sure that you follow our guidelines when upgrading to the latest version, and that you thoroughly test the system, particularly if you have custom modules installed. To take advantage of new features, we also recommend upgrading to the latest available production build.

Michelle

Hello,

I currently have 3 devices that are offsite, one is the Origin Server with 2 Edge Servers as load balancers. All 3 devices seem to be running on different versions, It is my understanding that we need to upgrade to Wowza streaming Engine by sometime in September? I really could use some feedback… Thanks.

Any feed back?

Hello michelle_b,

Thank for your response, I’m fairly new to Wowza world but is fascinating and would love to to get to know more about it. I’m still confused though, today i found out that one of the 2 edge servers is got 4.x version and we are able to access via the web. The other Edge server is on 3.x version and the goal is to get them all on the same version but how can i do this if the servers are offsite? It seems that all we can do is access the servers via putty, is it possible to upgrade to the latest version via putty?

Carlos,

Okay so when I ran the following command: “http://www.wowza.com/downloads/WowzaStreamingEngine-4-1-2/WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.rpm.bin” i get a “No such file of directory” return…

Hello,

After installing the 4.xx wowza version, it tells me to go ahead and access it, but it wont let me. The attached output is what i got, I’m i doing something wrong?

"To access Wowza Streaming Engine Manager, go to http://localhost:8088/enginemanager in a web

browser"

[root@IP addresss local]# ls

bin games lib libexec psa sbin src WowzaMediaServer-3.6.4 WowzaStreamingEngine-

4.1.2 WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.rpm.bin

etc include lib64 platform sb share WowzaMediaServer WowzaStreamingEngine

WowzaStreamingEngine-4.1.2.noarch.rpm

[root@xxx-xx-xxx-xx local]#

Carlos,

Will do,

Another question/issue i have is that i have finally upgraded all my Origin and Edge servers to the newest version. When configuring the servers do i have to insert the actual IP address of the encoder as a URL source in any of my servers?

Carlos,

Thanks Jason,

I’m having all kinds of problem, can you tell me what the output below means?

Flushing firewall rules: [ OK ]

Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter mangle nat [ OK ]

Unloading iptables modules: [FAILED]

Applying iptables firewall rules: [ OK ]

[root@216-55-139-15 WowzaStreamingEngine-4.0.3]# vi /etc/sysconfig/iptables

[root@216-55-139-15 WowzaStreamingEngine-4.0.3]# service iptables restart

Flushing firewall rules: [ OK ]

Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter mangle nat [ OK ]

Unloading iptables modules: [FAILED]

Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore: line 1 failed

[FAILED]

[root@216-55-139-15 WowzaStreamingEngine-4.0.3]#