Wowza Community

Edge server locations and ip-addresses

Is there any list that contains Wowza Streaming Cloud edge locations and ip-addresses for these servers?

Thanks,

Tuomas

Is there any list that contains Wowza Streaming Cloud edge locations and ip-addresses for these servers?

Thanks,

Tuomas

Hi

The edge server IPs are not static.

The PlaybackURL to it will resolve differently for any user depending on from where they connect to it and what load the CDN currently has.

So there is no way to pre define single edge locations since your stream once going through the CDN is available in all regions worldwide from all kinds of data centers.

Instead the CDN´s loadbalancer will give each client the shortest connection to the closest available edge server.

This ensures best possible connectivity to any edge server and scales indefinitely.

If you are using your own CDN you might need this list of our current transcoder locations with pingable IP addresses to check connectivity to it:

US EAST VIRGINIA - 54.209.233.244

US WEST OREGON - 54.191.176.210

US WEST CALIFORNIA - 54.183.109.81

EU IRELAND - 54.72.173.153

EU FRANKFURT - 54.93.165.95

ASIA PACIFIC SINGAPORE - 54.179.130.44

ASIA PACIFIC TOKYO - 54.92.48.103

ASIA PACIFIC SYDNEY - 54.79.87.15

ASIA PACIFIC SAO PAULO - 54.94.153.164

Thanks Philipp

HI,

I’m also interested about this. Instead of referring to the “master” source HLS and adaptive Flash urls in my wowza cloud live session player, could I create a player that is forced to fetch the stream from the named nearest geographical edge hub/delivery point with a specific URL/IP?

This would be a case for example in a corporate intranet that uses some distant proxies to mediate the internet traffic. There a distant proxy would probably give a not so good source stream if it is optimised by the proxy location, instead of the nearest geographical location.

If possible, would be good to know the edge locations and the instructions how to build the customised stream URLs.

BR, henrik

The edge server IPs are not static.

The PlaybackURL to it will resolve differently for any user depending on from where they connect to it and what load the CDN currently has.

So there is no way to pre define single edge locations since your stream once going through the CDN is available in all regions worldwide from all kinds of data centers.

Instead the CDN´s loadbalancer will give each client the shortest connection to the closest available edge server.

Hi Phillipp,

Are you saying that Wowza Streaming Cloud automatically configures a worldwide edge network in all available data centers as part of the live stream launch process? If I only wanted to deliver a single bit rate stream would I need to provision any additional Transcoders or other Targets in order to utilize the edge network you mentioned when setting up my live stream with the goal of delivering to a worldwide viewing audience?

Relatedly, your comment makes it sound like there is also geo-ip location functionality similar to Amazon’s Cloudfront, that’s analyzing every connection/request to the embedded player and then sending each client (connection/request) to the nearest edge server. Is that correct? Also, you mentioned the Load Balancer, will it automatically deploy additional edge servers as the load(s) increase?

Asked differently, is there anything in the Advanced menu I need to do, to be able to deliver a single bit rate stream to a worldwide viewing audience using Streaming Cloud? i.e. adding Transcoder(s), Target(s). I’d like to utilize Wowza Cloud’s servers as my CDN and Edge network.

This information is now documented in the article Wowza Streaming Cloud broadcast location features and addresses. We’ve added some locations since this discussion occurred, so check out the article for the latest. We’ll keep the article up-to-date as we add new locations to Wowza Streaming Cloud.

I am sorry this answer comes late.

Yes the Stream Target part of Wowza Streaming Cloud is a Content Delivery Network (currently Akamai) we use to distribute streams to any size of audience.

It will automatically add edge resources based on the viewing demands all around the world.

There is no need or way for you to set advanced details of our stream target configs except the location of the entry points which should be very close to your broadcast location.

So the concept you know from Cloudfront where you choose the delivery zones is not needed with us at all.

It will automatically route and distribute the stream from close networks depending on where the viewers come from.

And the traffic has the same price for all countries.

Again sorry for the late reply

Thanks Philipp