Wowza Community

Any tutorial to register a stream from HTML5 page to mp4?

Hi all,

I’m new to Wowza and I’m trying to setup an application able to register a video stream that come from an HTML5 video tag (smartphone or computer camera).

The purpose of the application is that an user can register a personal presentation, review it and when it confirms Wowza should generate an mp4 file.

I spent two days in reading several tutorials, but sincerely I’m a bit confused :confused:

Can someone give me some advices or link inherent my situation?

Thank you in advance.

Hello.

It is not quite clear what you are trying to do here.

For starters, Wowza is not able to ingest an HTTP source other then Shoutcast.

However, if you are able to make a recording of the source to mp4, you can add the file to the /content folder in the Wowza install directory and access that via a VOD application.

For live streaming you can re-stream from an IP camera. See this guide:

How to re-stream video from an IP camera (RTSP/RTP re-streaming)

Or, you can use a live stream encoder, Flash Media Live Encoder for example. Or if the source is coming from a mobile device Wowza provides and iOS and Android version of the GoCoder app:

How to set up live streaming using an RTMP-based encoder

How to set up live streaming using an RTSP/RTP-based encoder

How to publish and play a live stream (MPEG-TS based encoder)

Wowza GoCoder

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if I misunderstood your question.

Regards,

Salvadore

Hi Alfredo,

For live streams you will need to publish and send the stream to Wowza from an encoder such as the options I listed in my last post. Or, Wowza can pull a stream from an IP camera. Also included in my last post is a guide for this. Once the stream is published to Wowza, it can be recorded and saved to mp4.

Wowza does not support pulling a stream from an HTTP source or from a built in web cam without an encoder to push the stream to Wowza. You can use GoCoder to send a live stream from a smart phone to Wowza. I linked to that guide as well. Again, once the stream is published to Wowza, it can be recorded to mp4.

If you want to have the user record a presentation, review it and once approved stream the mp4 you will need to add the file to the /content folder of the Wowza install and use a VOD application to stream the file. The recording process in this case would be done locally and then uploaded to the Wowza content folder.

Lastly, Wowza can play the recorded file as a live stream, but that would be a different workflow and I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do or if that is what you want to do.

I hope I am understanding your question here.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hi,

thank you for you response. I try to explain better my scenario.

My application should register from smartphone or computer camera a video (using HTML5 tag ), where an user make a presentation of himself.

The user must be able to replay the stream recorded and if he confirm the presentation, I want to generate an mp4 file to use in my website.

I thought that both record stream from camera and the generation of mp4 file were Wowza’s tasks.

Is that possible? Am I missing some big concepts?

So, I think that I need a live application, because once created the mp4 file, I serve it by a player like flowplayer or jplayer.

Sorry for the question, I know that is a bit general.

Regards

Alfredo