Thread: New Flash Player 17.0.0.169 (4/14/2015) playing garbled sound; video speeds up, stops

Default New Flash Player 17.0.0.169 (4/14/2015) playing garbled sound; video speeds up, stops

I run a website that uses live streaming rtmp to the jwplayer6 video player. We are currently on Wowza 3.6.4 (hosted at AWS). Starting today, some viewers who downloaded Adobe Flash player 17.0.0.169 are getting very garbled sound and video that speeds up/slows down. This is happening on a number of users on various platforms: Win 7, Win 8.1, Linux and various browsers; Firefox, Safari, Opera, and IE (reported so far). I have been able to reproduce on a Win 7 machine. No good solution from Adobe or JWPlayer at the moment. We have informed our users to rollback to latest version of Adobe 17.0.0.134 (this works).

Has anyone come across this issue? Any ideas where the actual problem can lie: Adobe player, Wowza, JWP6?

Frank P.

Additional information: A support guy from adobe replied to me:

"I was able to reproduce the garbled audio and incorrect speeds. I'll file a bug on that shortly.

It's going to be a month before our next release, so I want to get you a workaround in the meantime. I *don't* believe that what we changed on the security side would have this kind of fallout (it was codec specific, and not on a codec that you should be using). I also found a number of other JWPlayer demos using RTMP that work fine.

The good news is that you can probably change the encoding settings in Wowza to avoid hitting the issue. It would be useful to know what the configuration for the streams that are served to viewers look like at the moment. I've never run Wowza before (Adobe sells Flash Media Server), so I haven't had a reason to play with it."

It was nice Adobe responded so quickly and can reproduce the error. Not sure where to begin with "change the encoding settings in Wowza." Thoughts?

Hi fpodlaha,

Please do send a support request to support@wowza.com, since we would be requiring additional information from you. In your support request, make sure that you send it from an email address that is a valid support contact, and that it includes the following:

• A zip file containing your [install-dir]/conf and [install-dir]/logs
    • A link to your live stream generated by Wowza
    • If possible, a link to the source stream going into Wowza
    • A link to this forum post as reference

Since you are on an older Wowza version, I will also be moving this thread to the correct sub-forum.

Michelle
    Last edited by michelle_b; 04-15-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Moving post to correct forum

Hi fpodlaha,

I tested a vanilla live application on a Wowza Media Server 3.6.4 EC2 instance (using our pre-built AMI) with the same Flash version, and was able to play a live stream correctly on JW Player. The issue may be related to something else in your Wowza configuration. Please do send a support request so that we can investigate further.

Michelle